We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Drive??

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Fly or Drive??

Family of 5 flying into Barcelona in June for 6 days and then had planned to catch the train to the French border and collect a hire car spend about 4 days having a look around the area and then heading over to Nice to spend a week before flying home. We wanted a holiday that was say a day of swimming a day of touring etc. It was going to cost about 500Euro for a car (that could fit us and our luggage). Having a look at Easyjet its going to only cost us about 150Euro to fly Barcelona to Nice. My question is could we still see the south of France by just doing day trips from Nice therefore just fly Barcelona/Nice or my original plan of hiring a car and spending 4 days touring around before heading to Nice a better idea. The price difference is obvious but I wanted to make the most of our time. Is this way too much time in this area??? I think I have looked and looked at different areas etc that I'm now a little confused as the best thing to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Drive??

There is plenty to see around Nice. Not only is the town itself a nice (sorry) seaside resort with a lovely old section, but nearby are places such as Monaco, Cannes and St Tropez, not to mention the lesser known Villefranche. Then if you travel into the hinterland within an hour are old medieval villages like Seillans and the perfume centre of grasse. Not too much further in the Grand Canyon du Verdon.

Save the time - fly to Nice and you will have less time in a car on the motorway and more time for exploring in a relaxed manner.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Drive??

Driving from Barcelona to Nice by motoway is only going to show you an extremely boring road. A budget flight to Nice will give you a fast entry to some tremendous scenery. Apart from the city itself ( very manageable - a tenth the size of Barcelona) and the well know Riviera coast - Cannes, Antibes, Villefranche, Monaco etc , Nice is surrounded by 10,000 foot high mountains and there are around 70 unique perched hill villages within an hour of the city.

Ed .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,111 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Drive??

I'm a little confused. After spending 6 days in Barcelona, are you then taking a train to the French border, hiring a car and spending 4 days in the border area, and then driving to Nice, where you will spend a week? The border area of Spain/Nice has some fabulous places. It is all very close to Barcelona. What about a guidebook showing some of the places you might visit from Barcelona - e.g., Collioure in France, Figueres and the other 2 Dali towns near there. You could hire the car in Barcelona for the extra days, return it to Barcelona, fly to Nice and see it all. I've thrice driven from Barcelona/Collioure to Nice and it's a 2-day trip and very boring on the autoroute.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or Drive??

Flying is definitely the way to go. You don't need a car on the Riviera; the public transport here is great! There are trains and buses that are inexpensive and travel very regularly which can take you to other towns on the Riviera such as Monaco, Cannes, Antibes, Juan les Pins and Villefranche sur Mer. Some of these towns are quite small though, so you can see two in one day.

Something to consider though, if you choose to rent a car, parking in Nice can be very expensive and there are lots of one way streets and pedestrian areas that can make driving stressful.

5. Re: Fly or Drive??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 17, 2013