We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Madrid to Nice

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Madrid to Nice

A friend and I decided somewhat spontaneously to take a trip to Madrid next month and I would like to combine it with a short stay in Nice / Cote d'Azur on the front or back end. We plan to visit at least one other Spanish city, either very close to Madrid or "on the way," loosely speaking, to Nice. I have been researching one-way flight options between Nice and Madrid/other Spanish cities and so far have found economical (<200 euro) nonstops only between Barcelona & Nice. I found Iberia flights from Madrid but they are over $1000! And Brussels Airlines has cheap flights from Madrid and Bilbao, but these go through Brussels. I am somewhat resisting flying through Barcelona for reasons not worth getting into, so would be interested in hearing alternatives filling my criteria, i.e., not too expensive, nonstop and near Madrid or on the way to Nice. Otherwise, I'll fly through Barcelona, which in the end, will be just fine, too. Thanks in advance, everyone!

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Madrid to Nice

Try booking a return on the Iberia website. Outward on Weds 10 October and (theoretically) coming back a week later, the quoted cost is €137. Incidentally, the flights all seem to involve a connection in Barcelona onto the regional airline Air Nostrum. It's a service I've used myself and it's fine except that the plane is a small jet and, if you have normal-size cabin baggage, it's impounded and put in a locker at the back.

For trips to a city near Madrid, I'd personally recommend (i) Toledo or (ii) Segovia. But you'll get better guidance on the relevant Spain forums.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,960 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Madrid to Nice

You can fly very cheaply (if you do not have excessive luggage) on Ryanair from Madrid to Marseille-Provence Airport, but it gets you there too late to reliably get to the CdA. You'd have to spend the night in nearby Aix en Provence or in Marseille before taking the train onwards.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Madrid to Nice

Perilizia & papluviose - Thank you so much for the advice, this is exactly what I needed! I looked at the Iberia roundtrips on Air Nostrum and it actually looks like there are no stops, which is even better, and they are priced as you said, under 150 euro. As to the Marseille/Provence route, this is very good to know as my plans are still flexible and as I've never been to this area, this may work for me, too.

Thank you again, you have made my trip planning that much easier :)

4. Re: Getting from Madrid to Nice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 21, 2013