We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
212 reviews
Save Topic
Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

Hello,

I have just booked a hire car with carhire 3000 from Alamo (Nice airport) and have noticed a 800euro excess on damage to the vehicle (credit card is swiped on arrival at desk). However if we pay a extra 5.75 euros a day we will get damage excess refund protection will will mean we can claim back any moneys deducted from our credit card should damage occur. Thats how i read it any way !!.

I imagine this is normal practice but would like to know what the majority of folk do when confronted with this dilema, is it possible being fully comprehensive insurance on our own car back in the UK will also cover us for car hire in Europe ? i havent checked yet.

At the moment i am leaning towards paying the daily charge for piece of mind but dont want to be scaremongered into it. I would appreciate any advice and thanks in anticipation for any replies.

Edited: 12:49 pm, August 29, 2012
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

Here is one possible answer:

www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp…

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

...and several other companies offer similar policies too if you do an internet search. Cover per day, and annually

If you hire a car for more than 5 days a year , annual policies can be good value

Edited: 2:48 pm, August 29, 2012
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

I would be surprised if the 800 is the only amount for which you are liable. You may well find that there is something else when you arrive. Insurance4carhire or something equivalent is the best way out of this. Car hire companies don't like it for obvious reasons. On a recent rental Budget very cleverly tricked us into paying more than the cost of the rental for five days insurance even though they knew we were already fully covered. Partly my carelessness in not reading a badly printed copy of the agreement but staff are heavily incentivised to sell insurance. Your own car insurance won't cover you. The various annual policies mean that if you have an accident the rental company will take the 800 from your card. You then need to claim it back from your insurer.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

Your own insurance will be no help. As others have said look for independent excess insurance, typically £2 per day. Check out moneysaving expert for details.

5. Re: Damage Excess refund protection on car hire ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 31, 2013