We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

I will be flying in from London and leave London from July 10morning arriving and leave July15 noon. I will arrive Marseille(Provence) July10 noon. I was told Nice is lovely so I would like to include. Can you please tell me which town I should stay as I have no idea how far and where are the nice places to visit?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

So, since you only will have 4 nights in the South of France, it is especially important/critical, that you pick up at least one or two good guidebooks for Provence and the Riviera/Cote d'Azur, AND then get back to us with a list of some of the plaes that you may want to go and things that you may want to do. My recommendation would be the Michelin Green Guides for both regions,

Another important factor regarding making valid recommendations includes whether you intend to use public transportation, or will be renting a car for the duration of your stayl

Also, need to know your destination when you fly out on 15, July, as that will be a serious factor regarding how many hours prior to your flight you need to arrivr at the airport prior to your departure.

Hope to hear from you soon.

AG

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

If you are driving, a good website to use is the Viamichellin website. You can work out your own itinery if you want to, as it can give you distances and travel times if you enter your departure and destination points.

We are driving thru France from Nice to Paris over a week in July, and used this site to guide us. Also booked our hotels thru this site.

Well worth a look. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

One important point to be aware of is that the dates when you will be in France include the beginning of the peak holiday period. All public transport will be crowded and roads very congested. The French National Day is 14 July. The fact that, this year, it falls on a Saturday, will mean that travelling is even more challenging than usual, given the persistence in France of the tradition that many holiday flats/villas/hotels will only accept bookings for complete weeks starting on a Saturday. You will enjoy your visit more if you plan to base yourself in or near Marseille itself and take short trips by train. It will be a miracle if you can reach destinations involving travel on Autoroutes (= Freeways=Motorways) in the times quoted by ViaMichelin. Places you may enjoy visiting, which have good train links with Marseille include Arles, Nimes, Avignon and Aix-en-Provence. You could also try Cassis as a coastal resort but the station is a long way from the town. I would advise against attempting any of the main Riviera resorts because the journey to get there will be so unpleasant.

Mentioned in this post
Marseille
Marseille
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Cassis
Cassis
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
4. Re: Need help on my driving itineary to South France. Thanks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, June 25, 2013