We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

We are thinking of taking the scenic train that runs from Nice to Digne Les Bains in August 2011. We just wondered, of the many tiny villages it stops at - is anyone who's done this journey able to recommend which places might be best to get off ? We like small, quiet, not busy. I have read somewhere that you can hire a bike and cycle along the river from one stop. Also, can you join and leave the train at any station ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

russia
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

The most popular stop is Entrevaux

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Annot is also popular;I think one or other would do the trick; I wouldn't go the whole way which is 3 hours

Query whether this is more scenic than the train de Merveilles

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

At the moment there is ongoing work on the line - Nice to Lingostiere, so the first part is by bus [till 2nd october]

The route is incredibly scenic but from the bottom of the valley with the mountains towering above.

On the train des merveilles route , the train line runs above the valley, so a different impression - much more panoramic view of the scenery

I like both routes

I wouldn't go all the way to Digne, Entrevaux or annot would be the best for a day trip - personally i prefer entrevaux of the two

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Thanks for that. Can join at any station or do you have to start at Nice?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Bump - it would be good to hear more comments on this topic. Can we get off at Entrevaux and catch another train back to Nice? Or can we get a bus back? I would love to hear comments on the logisitics of this trip. Thank you

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

For trains back to Nice simply consult the timetable trainprovence.com/templates/6/documents/Hora… available on the railway's website http://www.trainprovence.com/

Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Thank you very much - I will follow up this. It had seemed a very long day to go all the way to Digne, so maybe this is a compromise. Is the scenery to Entrevaux mountainous and spectacular? I appreciate any comments about this trip.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

The scenery to Entrevaux is mountainous and spectacular, the train runs along the valley floor with mountains towering above

The train des merveilles route [sncf TER PACA] to Tende is also mountainous and spectacular and the trin runs on the shoulder of mountains giving a more panoramic view.

The train follows the salt route that used to be undertaken by people with mules. There was no coastal; road until relatively recently so people had to travel north and over the mountains and descend into Italy

Australia
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

This sounds wonderful - I will investigate further. (We won't be there till June 2013). None of the guide books I have read give such an excellent description, so thank you. We will be at Villefranche, so I will check out the logisitcs. Thanks again.

nottinghamshire
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic train from Nice to Digne Les Bains

Does anyone know if this train runs all year round? We're going at the end of march and would like to start at Dignes , stop at a couple of places to walk then finish in Nice?