We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Questions

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
snk
Irving, TX
4 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car Questions

Hello,

I am going to be in Nice this weekend, and will be renting a car. I will be going up near the Sospel area to do some rally viewing on Sunday.

Do you recommend that I buy CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)? Here in the US, it is usually not necessary. But I have no idea if it is a "must" to buy insurance when in France.

Also, should I ask that the car be equipped with winter tires? Should I ask for snow chains?

Thanks for any advice you have with regards to this topic!

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Questions

For the insurance coverage it depends on the coverage offered by your credit card (mine is a Master card Platinum and I have full coevrage so I buy no insurance when I rent a car).

Forget about winter tires unless you drive on Departementales roads (number starts with a D). I was there last year at this time of th year and there was no snow on the road, slightly some in fields but you had to go far to find it (in the Sospel vicinity). Chek the weather, it is around 14 these days in nice so expect 5 or 6 in the mountains (too warm for snow). And I know about snow, I live in Montreal !!!

snk
Irving, TX
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Questions

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I will have to play this by year and ask the rental agent because I will be traveling around on the D roads.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Questions

4 seasons tire should do the job unless you get into a snow storm (quite improbable these days) Weather channel is says 16 celsius Friday, 17 Saturday and 14 Sunday. Play it by ear. Lemme know anyway how it went. have fun over there.