We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flat irons

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
flat irons

does anyone know where to purchase flat irons in Nice and how much do they cost in price range. When I bought my flat iron from the states to Greece even w/the converter it did not work

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flat irons

Darty at 28 Avenue Notre-dame is probably the best place but larger supermarkets and department stores will have them too but a much smaller selection

you can check for prices of differnet models and availability etc at the Nice shop here

darty.com/nav/…index.html

Edited: 2:09 pm, April 17, 2010
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flat irons

yes, Darty is good

or large supermarket (Carrefour TNL...)

may be also Conforma ?

Washington, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: flat irons

when you brought your flat iron last time, did you use one of the big converters, or was it just the small 2-prong plug? You only need the small plug, (it's not even a converter, more just an adapter to fit your appliance into the european outlet socket)... it will work fine, the bigger converters can actually fry your straighteners...yikes! Anyways, not sure if this was your problem, but thought I would share.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flat irons

Flat irons are irons for pressing clothes which is why i gave the link to irons on the darty website but it seems that its also used in the US as meaning hair straighteners - in french that is called a fer à lisser'

They are also sold by darty and big supermarkets and also hairdressing supplies shops

ste maxime
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flat irons

Putting 230 volts of electricity (Europe) through an appliance designed for 110 volts (US) will cause it not to work. Indeed it will probably not work ever again, even back on 110 volts, in the absence of a repair which may well cost more than a new appliance.

A simple socket adaptor is OK when you bring to France a 230 volt appliance fitted with a plug from a different country, for example the UK. Otherwise you need an adaptor whch

(a) accepts a US plug

(b) fits into a French socket and

(c) includes a 230-to-110 volt transformer.

Even then, as I understand it, anything that rotates will rotate at a different speed because the European supply is at 50 Hz (cycles) while the US supply is at 60 Hz. The example that used to be quoted was a turntable for vinyl records, which I guess is a bit retro now and for most appliances this quirk isn't that critical. But a plug-in clock, for example, would not be accurate.

A final word of warning - shaver sockets are often switchable between 230 volts an 110 volts. DO NOT BE TEMPTED to switch to 110 volts and plug in anything other than a shaver. An appliance that draws more current than a shaver does (which more or less everything and certainly anything with a heating element) will immediately blow the fuse on the wiring circuit, or worse.

Thank you for illustating a new (to me) way in which US Engish and British English can differ. Even though I lived 5 years in the US, I didn't know hair tongs were called flat irons, but then I never used them...

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,673 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flat irons

A very timely lesson indeed, steamdiplomat - in the conference and exhibition business I have seen a couple of seriously expensive accidents to computer and AV equipment caused by plugging US items directly into European mains electricity - and this despite well publicised pre-warnings.

Ed

7. Re: flat irons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, October 16, 2010