We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

What is the best walking route to reach Castle Hil - Colline du Chateaux?

I have read you reach it through Vieux Ville, but not sure what streets to take.

How long is the walk and is it quite steep?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

on the Promenade des anglais / quai des etats unis (sea side in front of Vieux-Nice) = you will find some stairs near hotel Suisse and hotel la Perouse

you have many stairs to arrive to the top

may be 10/15 min

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

Yes thats the way most people go - straight up the stairs, from the Promenade. I confess I prefer the Vieux Nice entrance - at the top of rue Rosetti. Its a more engaging walk through the finest street in the old town, and a more gentle incline. Through the large gate up two flights of steps, and you get a great view over the whole of the city. Following the access road upwards takes you out to the cemeteries, with fine views of the town back to the mountains. Follow the road and then some more energetic pathways up the hill brings you out by the cascade, and then the old chateau, and the viewing area. Job done.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

If you are concerned about steepness etc there is a lift/elevator from place de 8 mai, beside the hotel suisse.

there is a small fee which i can't recall the exact amount -but its around 90c one way and 1.50 return

merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

Agree with NiceLife I prefer that route too.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

Thank you Sunnybun. Its good to know I occasionally get some things right.

As for the best way down, I recommend abseiling from above the war memor....

6. Re: Best Route to Castle Hill - Colline du Chateaux

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 13, 2010