We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water rafting?

Perth
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
White water rafting?

Would like to try white water rafter in August near Nice, France. Im a novice - so dont wish to drown on holiday!! Can anyone recommend a reputable company. I would either need to be picked up from Nice or utilise public transport to get to where I need to be.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White water rafting?

I would be surprised if there was anything within easy reach of Nice especially in August. I think you'd need to get pretty high into the Alps to find serious white water at the height of summer.

I'll be happy to have somebody prove me wrong, however...

Monaco
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: White water rafting?

They do rafting at Breil sur Roya, which is just over an hour on the train, less by car:

http://www.royaevasion.com/

Never used them tho'.

A bit further away by car, is the Gorges du Verdon, where they also do rafting. It'll be very busy in August as that's when the high season for French holidays is.

Nice, France
Level Contributor
661 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White water rafting?

Entrevaux could also be a good option if you intend to use public transport (trains departing from Nice). You could contact Base Sport & Nature :

Tel: +00 33 493 054 118 or +00 33 663 633 828

Email: contact@basesportnature.com

www.basesportnature.com/UK/Rafting.html

For more info on Entrevaux :

beyond.fr/villages/…sports

Edited: 2:24 am, February 03, 2010
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White water rafting?

breil sur roya will be the nearest may be but it's the easier (for me, too slow and quiet)

around Nice, the speciality is more the canyoning

if you could drive farest, go to entrevaux or I suggest you Castellane (near Gorges du Verdon)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
731 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White water rafting?

I went canyoning with BDM a few summers ago:

http://www.nicebdm.com/

I see they offer rafting on their website.

Some others and I were collected and dropped in a minivan in Nice for an extra charge, don't know if they still offer this service.

The canyoning was fantastic and terrifying!

London /Nice
Level Contributor
780 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White water rafting?

there are loads of companies offering rafting in Castellane; not really white water in August but great fun -our "professional" actually fell off when I went last year and no one helped him initially because we all thought it was some sort of practice

you might get a bit wet and have a bit of a buzz but it is not in the least dangerous

7. Re: White water rafting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 03, 2010