We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"No insurance excess" ???

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
"No insurance excess" ???

Several Autoeurope car-rental prices show "no insurance excess," but nowhere on the site in the FAQs have I been able to find a definition. Can someone please tell me what the term means? Thanks.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
24,220 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

I believe "no insurance excess" is the equivalent to what we in the US call "no deductible".

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,676 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

Yes, 'excess' is British English (etc.) for 'deductible'.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

The most important thing is not to believe them. Car rental is the biggest scam around. I have just been checking the cost of renting a car from Pisa airport and discovered that adding satnav and full insurance doubles the cost. The rental companies are masters at hiding the real cost until you arrive. I suspect that 'no insurance excess' still requires you to pay extras. The Bulgarian gipsy who takes people's phones, mentioned elsewhere, is a comparatively honest person who compared to the rental companies.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,873 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

Catallus,

I rented a Passat TDI through AutoEurope in Nice in August 2008.

It was one of the 'no insurance excess' deals and the car was provided by Europcar.

I backed into a wall in a dim underground parking garage in Carcassonne.

It cracked a light, dented the body and the skirting around the back bumper.

The car was still drivable but with the cost of body repair etc these days it had to have been 2,000 worth of work. I phoned Europcar and they told me to just drop off the car as planned as I had zero deductible there would be no cost to me.

Worked out fine. Whew.

Rob

Edited: 8:19 am, February 01, 2010
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

When renting a car abroad we use company called Insurance4carhire. An annual fee is paid, depending on whether travel is to be in Europe, USA etc, and damage is covered. We have used them several times in Europe and also in NZ, and all offers of extra cover can be turned down without worry. We first used them after reading the column of a 'travel agony aunt' who recommended them.

6. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:35 pm, October 31, 2015
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

No we've never had to claim; maybe we've been lucky! 'Ask Gill' in the Saturday Telegraph column still recommends it after all these years, and so far no problems have ever been mentioned.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

I am interested in exploring this further. It maybe that Europcar's waiver of the cost of damage was a result of confusion.

When you rent a car which includes "CDW" (collision damage waiver) this simply means they will charge you a maximum up to the amount of the excess. So if the typical excess is Euros 600 - 1000, they will swipe your card at the start of the rental. if damage comes to less than that the entire amount is charged to your card. If the damage exceeds that the max amount charged is the amount of the excess. This is so even if the deal is advertised as "fully inclusive" etc.

To make matters worse, it is usually very difficult to find details of these excesses. Some rental sites simply tell you to ask at the desk when you arrive!

You can often pay a huge supplement when picking up the car to have this excess reduced to zero. This means that, whatever the damage, there will bo no charge to you. This is the most convenient form of excess waiver but is quite expensive. (Don't quote me but i would guess these days it is about Euros 10 per day + tax + airport tax etc)

Another form of excess waiver is insurance taken out with an insurance agency and this is usually much less than half the price than that offered by the rental co itself. so if you rent a car via an agency such as Autoeurope they will sell you this insurance which is actually provided by an insurance agency. The problem with this is that if you have damage to the car, the local rental co will charge you up to the excess. You have to report it, file the correct paperwork, send that paperwork to the insurance co and then claim a refund. The Autoeurope website spells this out

www.auto-europe.co.uk/car-sipp-info.cfm…

This is a real hassle. One of the problems with damage is that if you cannot get hold of a rental employee at the drop off point to properly inspect the car on retuirn, or if the car is covered in mud, you can return home and later find that you have been charged for damage. How do you claim a refund without the correct paperwork? Has anyone had experience of this?

So I am surpised to hear that Europcar simply waived the cost of damage. Maybe they thought that the cover provided was Europcar's own. I would be interested to hear of others' experiences.

So the choice is simple

A. - don't take out the extra insurance but accept that you will be obliged to pay up to the excess amount (which is high).

B. take out the additional insurance and accept that you have to pay the cost of damage, procure the correct paperwork and claim a refund off the insurance co. You really need to ensure that the car is properly inspected on drop off

C. pay the much higher surcharge to the local rental co on the basis that if you want a fully insured car this is the only way to go. Unfortunately this is the most expensive!

But always, always, read the fine print. Even if the product is labelled as a "fully insured/nothing to pay, etc etc" you can find that "full" means everything except wheels, roof, whatever! Just look at the exclusions off the Autoeurope excess waiver

"Exclusions:

When damage is caused to windows/windscreen, interior, wheels, tyres underside, or roof of vehicle.

When any rental vehicle has been driven off-road, on unpaved roads, in unauthorized Countries or areas.

When the driver is not named and authorized on the rental agreement

When the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs

When any fraudulent, dishonest, or criminal act has been committed by the driver and/or passengers.

When the damage is caused by the driver not taking due care, attention, is reckless or negligent. (This includes - but is not limited to - adding wrong fuel, not following the rules of the road, damages incurred while parking or in a parking facility, burned clutch, using the hand brake incorrectly, etc.) "

You would think the over-bloated European Commission would focus on these rip-off merchants rather than on the bendiness of bananas

Edited: 10:11 am, March 17, 2010
Niagara-on-the-Lake...
Level Contributor
162 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

Interesting. I used autoeurope.ca for a Europcar rental. I paid for "no insurance excess". The contract says my liability for damage and theft is nil. It also states that Autoeurope does not provide insurance, that it is provided by the rental company (i.e. Europcar).

The cost was slightly higher than without the no excess, but I am hoping it means no hassles when returning the car.

10. Re: "No insurance excess" ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:36 pm, October 31, 2015