We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 children (aged 11 and 10) who would like to spend 4 or 5 days in the South of France in May. We have not been before! We have heard much about alot of beautiful and vibrant places. We would ideally like to base ourselves in one location. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecited. Thank you.

French Riviera Day Trip from Nice
121 reviews
from $103.40*
Special Offer
Monaco and Eze Small-Group Day Trip...
629 reviews
from $97.60*
$108.40
French Riviera Small Group Day Trip...
401 reviews
from $132.10*
Special Offer
Provence Countryside Small Group Day...
452 reviews
from $97.60*
$108.40
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Nice, Eze, Monaco
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Nice or Marseille

Nice is more touristic

many famous places....

in may, you the Monaco GP and Cannes Film Festival, may be too much people and rates expensive

You have also some nice places around Marseille

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,800 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Of the three I would opt for Nice. You are well located for visiting the whole beautiful Riviera coast with Cannes, Antibes, Monaco etc all within a hour's train journey. There are a choice of fine beaches as well as plenty of restaurants, museums and art galleries . If you are tired of the sea coast there are a couple of very dramatic hill villages to explore - Eze and St Paul de Vence are within easy reach of Nice.

Marseille has many attractions ( one of which is that it is not 'touristy' ) and will probably be cheaper for accomodation, meals etc but it has to be remembered it is the second most populous city in France - a big 'lived-in' old port city ( think Genoa, Naples.... Liverpool) and for some would be an acquired taste.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Nice has almost everything you could want with the exception of a sandy beach. Nice is the travel centre for the area with cheap, one euro, buses to many places of interest. Nice itself has a vibrant cafe culture, interesting architecture, historic sites and several hundred restaurants. You might also consider Villefranche which does have a decent beach for children and is only ten minutes or so from Nice by bus/train. Cannes has better beaches than Nice but IMO it is dull. Avoid the weekend of the Grand Prix, 15/16 May, at all costs.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,800 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

The Grand Prix of Monaco is much earlier than usual this year.

Ed

UK
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

I would vote for Nice - a beautiful city with lots to see and do. It is also well located for day-trips to Cannes, Antibes, Villefranche-sur-Mer, Monaco and Saint-Paul-de-Vence.

I am a great fan of Marseille but for a first experience of the South of France, Nice is unbeatable.

Enjoy!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Thanks all!!

It's great to have different opinions from people in the know!!

I think we are going to head to Nice, but I am now wondering about not going in May for a few days, but rather go for 2 weeks in the summer hols, so we can explore the area for longer. Am really looking forward to it!!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,691 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

July - remember hot, crowded, dearer! You obviously are having to stick to school holidays, so you haven't a great choice of dates.

But Nice is lovely, in a great area, and would also get my vote.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Unlike many places along the coast Nice is big enough to absorb the crowds. Just make sure you get a place with aircon if you are going in July.

Sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

I would also opt for Nice, we stayed three days in December, 2009 and did day trips to Cannes and Monaco but were happy to return to Nice each afternoon, lots to do, good restaurants, good walks along the beach, I think you will enjoy Nice and it's a good base if you still want to do some day trips along the way.

Enjoy

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
75 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice, Cannes or Marseille for a family of 4???

Thank you everyone!!

We have decided to stick to the original plan of the end of May / beginning of June and have booked flights. Next question is of course, where to stay???

I will read previous posts, but if anyone has recently stayed at somewhere good, child friendly that doesn't cost a fortune, I would love to know!