We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

San Francisco, CA
11 posts
Save Topic
Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

Hello,

I'm traveling to Nice for 3 days at the end of January. I would greatly appreciate any information on how to get to Monaco & Cannes from Nice? How long does it take? And, any other good attractions and tips you all may recommended. Thanks a bunch!

Ledyard, Connecticut
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

Does anyone know the specific train stations to go to from: Cannes to Nice?

Nice to Monaco?

Monaco to Cannes?

Thanks!

Level Contributor
75 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

We were in Nice at the end of March 2005 and visited both Monaco and Cannes. We travelled by train on each occasion. The best way to buy the tickets is using the machines at the station but you need change because our credit cards didn't always work. However at the ticket office (often long queues) everyone speaks English. If you only have time for one trip choose Monaco. If you can't face the walk between Monaco and Monte Carlo use the local bus which costs 90cents. You must go to both areas and a drink outside the Cafe de Paris is essential in Monte Carlo.(Only slightly more expensive than anywhere else in France.)

Level Contributor
75 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

Forgot to mention that the main railway line runs all along the coast from Cannes to Nice and on to Monaco and then into Italy.

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

Travelah, the train station on Avenue de Thiers is called Nice Gare Routiere and it's the one that goes to your 3 destinations. But trains for Monaco and menton and Italy usually stop at Nice Riquier also (eastern part of town)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

If you decide to drive, definitely rent your car from an agent in San Francisco, and take out the super-all-inclusive coverage. On my last trip I rented through Hertz from Toronto, and not only did I get a far better price than I would have in Euros, but when someone hit my car in a parking lot I had no problem. Otherwise the deductible would have been almost $1200. For three days, though, I think I would suggest the train. The driving along the Riviera is pretty hairy, and can get very backed up at dinner time. You'd waste a lot of time.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nice to Monaco & Cannes?

snk,

If you want to splurge on car rental, there are some fancy car rentals in Monaco that can rent you just about anything--exotic Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Massaratis, Aston-Martins, Rolls-Royce, etc. They'll drive it directly over to wherever you're staying too so you don't need to go anywhere to pick it up. They'll even come back to get it wherever you leave it.