We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice to Genoa

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
301 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nice to Genoa

Hi, can anyone tell me is it possible to get a direct train from nice to genoa? How long would this take? Also i am considering stopping off somewhere along the coast of france before my stop in genoa can anyone recommend anywhere special? (Il have spent 2 or 3 nights in nice previous to this)

Thanks!

Siesta Key, Florida
Destination Expert
for St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Level Contributor
451 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice to Genoa

Yes you can Via Ventimiglia www.sncf.fr can give the schedule.... lost of good place to stop on the way....Villefranche or Menton would be my picks.

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice to Genoa

There are two direct trains per day, at about 10 am and 6 pm. These trains stop only twice before the Italian border, at Monaco Monte Carlo and at Menton.

trenitalia.com/en/orari_biglietti/index.html will give the times, and unlike the SNCF site will also give you times of all the other services which involve one change at Ventimiglia - many of which only take a few minutes longer than the direct train.

Trenitalia will also give you the times of all the connections from stations in places worth visiting such as Villefranche and Beaulieu (from these stations you must change trains) where SNCF will only give connections involving a change onto the two through trains from Nice.

Mentioned in this post
Menton
Menton
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice to Genoa

We took a direct train from Genoa to Nice several years ago. Spectacular scenery! Perilizia's info is as I remember our trip.

Be careful in Genoa after dark. The Old Town emptied - completely - and we definitely got the message that it wasn't safe to stay in the area. Hopefully, things are better now.

4. Re: Nice to Genoa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, October 19, 2009