We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

Two of us will be heading for Nice for 10 days in mid September. We plan to visit Provence and Cote d'Azur. Is it advisable to have our base in Nice or one or two other cities? We intend to drive for sightseeing. Will parking be a problem? Any suggested itinerary? There are some names in our mind and we don't know if any of them is no good - St Remy, Croniches, Antibes, Monaco, Juan Les Pins, Villefranche, Eze, St Tropez. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Nice
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

In my view, Cote d´Azur is distinct from Provence.

My first advice would be to stay put in Nice for say half the time and the rest e.g. in Aix-de-Provence. I would not rent a car for the days in Nice. I wouldn´t make a day program in advance. I would seriosly consider to stay put in Nice most of the time, treating day trips more like exceptions than rule. There are nice places in the close surroundings of Nice such as the Cap Ferrat peninsula and for that matter also Menton. Public means of transportation are excellent out from Nice.

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

We spent two weeks in September of '04 driving around Provence and the Cote D'Azur. We used Avignon as a base for Provence and drove north to Chateauneuf de Pape, Gordes, Rousillion, south to Les Baux, St. Remy and Arles and east to Lacoste, Bonnieux etc...We used Nice as a base for the Rivieria...easy trips to Vence, St paul de Vence, Biot, Grasse, Mougins...Eze, St Jean Cap Ferrat villefranche...it is a great time of year there and this was one of our all time favorite vacations...both nice and Avignon had easy access to highways out of town and ample parking

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
140 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

Thanks for the advice. I will split my stay in Nice and Avignon and take side trips from there then. I suppose lots of places could be visited in a day if we drive?!

Princeton NJ
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence and Cote d'Azur for 10 days

Yes...many of the towns I mentioned are only a few kilometers apart and the roads are generally very good and not very crowded in September. For example it would be easy to do Eze, Villefranche, Beaulie Sur Mer, St Jean Cap Ferrat (don't miss the Ephrussi de rotschild home and gardens) in a day..with a stop for a seaside lunch.