We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice public beach?

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nice public beach?

Our family of four (sons ages 21 and 18) is taking a Mediterranean cruise in June that docks near Nice. We'd like to go to a public beach on St.Jean Cap Ferrat. I understand from a Conde Nast article that there are 4 beautiful public beaches on Cap Ferrat, and wondered how best to reach one of them, given that we'll be walking. Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice public beach?

Three pretty good beaches are Plage Passable, St Jean, and Plage Paloma - if there is a fourth thats new to me - however since I assume your cruiseboat is dropping anchor in Villefranche, Plage Passable is on your side of Cap Ferrat - the others are on the Italy-facing side further away.Walk the lower road from Pont St Jean and its signposted.

Though Passable is the better of the three in my view, its still not great.You will already be at the best beach on this end of the Rivirea - Villefranche itself. Stay put

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice public beach?

Thanks for the information. It's funny that the Conde Nast article didn't mention how lovely the Villefranche beach was---I'm really excited to see it. Do you think that staying put on the beach is the best idea for the day, and going up to the mountains as well too much to comfortably fit in?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice public beach?

Possibly Conde Nast doesn't think a beautiful beach should have a train line running immediately behind it. Doen't bother me - much better than all the road vehicles behind most beaches. But thought I'd mention this in case you mightn't like it.

But the real reason probably is that Villefranche beach isn't really on Cap Ferrat - though it's right next to it and looks all down one side of it. Great views.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice public beach?

Sounds good to me:-)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice public beach?

If you are itching to do something as well as time on the beach, its a pleasant and interetting walk to Cap Ferrat from the far side of Villefranche up to Pont St Jean, from where you can stroll up to see the Villa Ephrussi (costs about eight euro entrance) and see one of the most beautiful residences of the Riviera.

Independence...
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice public beach?

If your ship is indeed dropping anchor in Ville Franche then you should explore Ville Franche first. It really hasn't changed much since the l7th century and you can cover it in an hour or so and it does have a small lovely beach. Walking to Cap Farrat also brings you to lovely Beaulieu sur mer which is right adjacent to the Cap and has two lovely beaches (sand), little or no traffic and all have places for a lovely lunch. Hope this helps.

7. Re: Nice public beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 26, 2009