We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

I've been reading and reading on the forums, but I finally decided I should post my specific question for help.

My husband and I are traveling to Paris and the Cote d'Azur for our 10 year anniversary in mid-May. We planned to head south for 4 days during the week. We're trying to decide where to stay as our home base and looking for good hotel recommendations. While we may do trips some days (like we want to go to Monaco one day/evening), mostly we want to lie on the beach, eat good food, and go to bars/nightclubs in the evening. We don't plan to rent a car, expecting to use public transportation and walk when it's 15-20 min. Where would be our best home base? As far as hotels, we're looking for something quality (likely 3-5 stars). Finally, I'm aware that we'll be there during the Cannes' Film Festival. I had one friend specifically recommend that we not come to the area during that time because all the rates will be raised considerably, if we can find room at all. I'd appreciate thoughts on that as well.

Also looking for tips on restaurants, bars/clubs, beaches, and part day trips we should include in our plans.

I really appreciate your help.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

It is true that Cannes will be taken over by the corporate expense crowd in mid May and, apart from much higher costs, most decent rooms will be long taken up. Apart from that, once you are within reach of the coastal railway line you can be assured of a good choice of accommodation at Juan les Pins, Antibes, Nice or Villefranche.

Nice will be just marginally the best hub for day trips, and choice of a wide range of accommodation and restaurants at all budgtes, but remember it is a biggish city and also some people don't care for the stony beach.

Villefranche , while small and quiet, has limited accomodation but I reckon it the most beautiful location on the Riviera.

Juan les Pins caters for a young crowd and night life but this will not be really evident in May - it has a great beach but few good restarants.

Which leads me up to its twin town Antibes - ( only 5 minutes from JLP by train anyway) - has more than 50 good restaurants in the picturesque Old Town, several great beaches, Picasso Museum, Provencal Market and a more traditional untouristed feel than Cannes.

The tourist office website is, I have found out yesterday, being remodelled but keep trying it.. Details of Hotels and Apartments ( Residences)in bottom left hand corner ......

www.antibesjuanlespins.com

Ed

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
1,604 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

Hi,

You would be suited either Juan les Pins, Antibes, or Nice. All are reachable by the train.

If you are arriving around the Cannes Festival then except the hotels to be overpriced & booked out. My favourite place is Antibes & Juan les Pins. There are some beautiful hotels depending on your budget. My favourite is Hotel Belle Rivers due to its gorgeous waterfront location.

www.bellesrives.com

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

Cannes is generally fully booked for the film festival peroiod well in advance - Antibes and JLP are affected by film festival spill over to an extent

Nice is pretty much unaffected by film festival but does get booked up to a degree for the monaco grand prix

Nice is the best base for day trips by public transport but you can make other places work

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

We love Villefranche and specifically the Hotel Welcome pictured above my name. It is 4* for 200 Euros per night for a balcony room with the prettiest views in the riviera. Lots of good restaurants near by including the Cosmo next door. The public sand/pebble beach is a short walk down the harbor. And the nearby train is also very convenient for day trips...

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far - your input has been helpful. Based on your input and additional research, I think we'll aim for Juan-les-Pins or Antibes. I say this because we don't want to have to pack up our stuff and travel in order to go to the beach. We're looking for a short walk from our hotel to go lie in the sun. We can travel for everything else - like dinners, evenings out and, of course, visiting other cities.

Ed,

It looks like the web site is updated, which is helpful. However, I can't seem to find an English version and while I can probably navigate in French, I'm not adept enough to be efficient and will miss nuances. Do you know if there's an English version of the site?

Ellemay,

Aside from Hotel Belle Rives, which looks great, but a little higher priced than we were looking for, do you have any other hotel suggestions? Something near to that Hotel Belle Rives quality but perhaps one step lower to bring the price down.

caseymorgan

Unfortunately, Hotel Welcome is at almost $800US a night for the time when we'll be there, so it's not an option. I'd welcome any other suggestions of hotels you may have - in Villefranche or generally in the area.

Thanks again!

Edited: 8:23 am, January 26, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,584 posts
1,604 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

We also stayed at Westminster Hotel in Nice right on the Promenade Des Anglais and very close to the beach, restaurants & cafes.

Westminster Hotel is totally below standard of Hotel Belle Rivers but offers a unique stay in Nice. We enjoyed our stay & we can be extremely fussy.

Tierra Verde...
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

Not sure where you're seeing the $800 per night for the Hotel Welcome. Balcony waterview rooms in May are 197 Euros per night. The weekend of the Monaco Grand Prix is May 26-29 and rates only go up to 325 Euros:

http://www.welcomehotel.com/index.php?lang=en

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

BeachMom

>>>>, Do you know if there's an English version of the site?<<<<

www.antibesjuanlespins.com

The site does not seem to be fully up again yet - altho' an improvement on a few days ago - the English version is normally accessed by clicking on the small Union Flag in the top lefthand corner but it says ' Very soon' at the moment. Keep trying !!

Ed

9. Re: Where to stay - JLP, Antibes, Nice or Villefrance sur Mer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Juan-les-Pins