We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

I'd like to combine Eze and Villefranche in one day, and even though I have a general idea how to do it, I'm not quite sure about some details, and I'd rather not waste time trying to find my way around, as I'd attempt to be in Villefrance by certain time.

I'm planning to get on bus #82 from Eze to Villefranche and then walk down or wait for bus #80 (they're very infrequent, though, so chances are I'll walk). However, there are quite a few stops - La Calade, Saint-Michel, Les Caroubiers, La Leopolda, Le Castellet, La Corne d'Or, La Pinede, and Col de Villefranche - and I don't know where to get off. Alternatively, I'm looking also at bus #112, which has only one stop in Villefranche - Col de Villefranche. It looks like this bus goes around the outskirts of the place and this is probably not a very convenient stop.

Where should I get off in order to catch #80? If you go from the upper level Villefranche down to the beach, what's the direction of the bus - NICE - Riquier or VILLEFRANCHE-SUR-MER - Le Gentilhomme? I don't quite get this timetable as 3 more stops are mentioned (one even past the last one), but there are hyphens across the columns, as if they're not serviced or something... Unfortunately, the only 2 names that overlap with the names of the stops of bus #82 are among those.

Would the stop you tell me to get off to catch #80 be also the best stop if I am to walk down to the harbor? If not, which one is best for walking (because that's the more likely scenario)? How long of a walk would that be?

If you have any better ideas, I'm open to them, too, but I wasn't able to come up with anything faster or more convenient. The bus going from Eze Village down to the train station is also very infrequent and I'd rather not walk down there (based on what I've read). The distances are so short, but getting around by public transit is kind of frustrating.

I'd appreciate your help.

Mentioned in this post
Villefranche-sur-Mer
Villefranche-sur-Mer
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

The trains are about every half an hour

Eze sur Mer station only has a ticket machine [no counter service] so you will need coins or a chip and pin card to buy a ticket

where did you see Internet booking for the boat trips from Villefranche?

Edited: 9:38 pm, May 27, 2012
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

If the trains run every half an hour, that's not a bad option, either. At least you get deposited right in the heart of Villefranche.

Oh, yeah, I know our stupid cards don't work. Actually, I just read about somebody getting stuck in a parking lot in Antibes and he supposedly had a chip & pin card... I plan on collecting as many coins as I can. I was mighty surprised to read somewhere that stores wouldn't give you change... What's the deal with that? Is it true?

The boat tours don't have online booking per se, but you can certatainly do it using the contact form, e-mail, and a phone number on the website.

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

This link will help you view the train schedule. Follow the steps below the link to get a a current PDF:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

Under the second option, "Search Online," select the "O4 Mandelieu-La Napoule...Ventimiglia" route. Click "Select Time Sheet." and an underlined link will appear below "Please Choose a Line." That will get you to the PDF.

...and here is a map of Villefranche that Selkie provided on another post. It helps to make the steps and bus stops a little easier to understand.

villefranche-sur-mer.org/pages/plan/planvill…

Are you arriving on a cruise ship? If so, where are you docked? If not, where are you traveling from and heading to after Villefranche?

USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Thank you, but these timetables give me a serious headache.;-) Every half hour is good enough for me. I'll have to spend some more time on Google maps. It's funny how you think you're all prepared and when it gets close to leaving, you start getting the feeling you know nothing.

I'm using Nice as a home base for exploring the area. The guide books normally talk about getting to some place and back from Nice, but not enough detail is available if you need to go from place to place.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

I think like a tourist and I've been fortunate to have some "do overs." Here's my public transportation primer from a traveler's perspective:

1) From Nice, you can take direct bus routes into the mountain villages: 82 to Eze and 400 to St. Paul de Vence.

2) Resort to resort, I think the train is the best way to travel unless you have a particularly short jaunt. To give you perspective on distances: From Cannes to Monaco takes a little over an hour and from Nice, Cannes is about 40 minutes and Monte Carlo, about a half an hour. I think like a tourist, and for me, I know where the rails are going and there's only one stop when you reach a destination...that's in my comfort zone. Buses turn corners, I have to decide on a stop, and I get apprehensive. They make sense for people who live there and buses cost less, but I get confused. For longer jaunts, they are slow, make multiple stops and are subject to traffic tie-ups. I like trains when I can take them.

3) From a train station, you basically want to head toward the water and decide which way to turn. The exception to this would be Nice when the tram is the conduit between Nice's old town and the train station, and I've described how I do this on my post. Monte Carlo is a whole other ballgame, and I'm still trying to get a handle on best how to do this. If it's something you want to do, let me know and I'll share how I'm going to approach this in the fall.

4) You will be traveling during the period when the Carte Isabel is available. This is the ticket I would suggest if you have a full day's itinerary going to destinations in different directions from Nice. You can travel every which way on this pass. Example: If you want to travel to Eze du Bord (aka sur Mer), Villefranche, and Antibes from Nice, you can do that on a Carte Isabel:

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

There are also destination tickets that allow you to travel in one direction with stops in between, but you can't double back or travel beyond your original destination. On these tickets, once you've validated your ticket in one direction, you can stop along the way (Example: Nice>Monte Carlo, you can stop in Villefranche, or Nice>Cannes, you can stop in Antibes). On these tickets you can travel in one direction from Nice, but to travel to the other side of Nice would mean a new ticket. (Example: Nice>Antibe>Villefranche would be a Nice>Antibes, an Antibes>Villefranche ticket and a VF>Nice ticket.) Plan your trips accodingly or better yet, but a Carte Isabel if this is what you want to do.

You need to validate your ticket when your enter a platform (Example: Nice >Cannes, validate your ticket on the onset of your trip in Nice and in Cannes for your return). I travel in October when the Carte Isabel isn't available, so how that ticket should be validated is something Selkie or another contributor can help you with. I don't have a clue.

5) I agree...the train schedule in black in white on a computer screen is overwhelming, but you can pick up a colored pamphlet with these routes at a train station. Save your head spinning for then, but you will be going in one step ahead of me on my first trip. Note that routes are labeled by their end destinations, and routes between Cannes and Monte Carlo, the distance you are most likely going to be traveling, can have different Id's on their marquis. On the brochure, a blank space means that that is the end of the line and a "-" means a train is Express and doesn't stop at the stations. Most trains that you will be concerned with will travel between Cannes and Monte Carlo and some will end and originate in Nice.

6) It's confusing to get to a train station or bus stop and not know what to do next. Here is a post I made after our trip last fall when things were fresh in my mind, and this is how I made it from the train stations and bus stops to the parts of the towns I wanted to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

You can do this! I don't know where you live in the US, but unless we live on the eastern seaboard or travel to out larger cities, US travelers are not used to reading train and bus schedules. Our country is spread out, and in the Cote d'Azur, public transportation is easy and efficient.

Edited: 11:57 pm, May 27, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Vence
Vence
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Thank you so much, Troggs! Boy, do you prepare or what!;-) You seem to be worse than I am!;-) And you write a lot, which is much appreciated.

What I find the most frustrating is the different levels of the villages and the demolition of the bus station in Nice and the following dispersing of the buses all over the place. I'm originally from Europe, so I'm not a newbie to mass transit and schedules. I also learned enough French to find my way around. However, time is very limited and you want to make the most out of it, so being prepared helps. I'd much rather go around leisurely and get lost because any place you get lost in is beautiful, but unfortunately I'm not a lady of independent means...

I kind of prefer the buses because I specifically chose a hotel closer to them. I also think the view from most of them would be better.

I will go to Monaco, so I'll try to give you a report at least on that when I get back.

Of course, as they say: if you want to make the gods laugh, tell them what your plans are... So many things out of your control may happen and wreck them... or improve them... who knows... How am I to know if some gentleman in a convertible is dying to show me the area?! lol

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Here are two maps that I've saved that have helped me get a better picture of Monte Carlo. On past trips, the inclines have thrown me off, and the first map is a street map that shows the "asceneurs," a series of lifts and escalators that make navigating these inclines easier. The second is a local bus map.

monaco-montecarlo.com/documentation/Brochure…

http://www.cam.mc/plan-reseau.php

Without looking up the bus routes again and trying to recall the stops from memory, the 112 bus will stop at Ste. Devote (towards the upper right of the harbor) and the 100 will stop at the tourism office. There is a ascenseur close to Ste. Devote that connects to the train station. I know you don't want to take a train, but as an FYI, there it is! BTW, I've been able to print readable printed copies of these maps from home, and that doesn't always happen.

This is a map I've saved of Beaulieu. You can zoom in and move it around towards Cap Farret:

annuaire-mairie.fr/plan-beaulieu-sur-mer.html

I've also been able to print the enlarged and moved images from this map, but sometimes a blank space appears. That's all it is - a blank space - and the pieces fit together.

...and here's a map of Eze. It's a relief map, but I don't see how anything else would give you the right picture of the village.

ac-nice.fr/ia06/…

In my old age, I admit it...I've turned into a planner. I used to "wing it" on my trips and followed the people who had the guidebooks. I now know how much I've missed by being lost and confused, and that's when I found Trip Advisor. It started with a trip to Normandy several years ago, and my trips to the Cote d'Azur, where I've been fortunate to have "do overs," have been made better by the contributors on these forums. On some of my trips, I've been the poster child for what not to do, and I enjoy sharing my experiences, both the ones that I got right and the "why did I do that"s. A family member referred me to Trip Advisor calling it "don'tgothere.com," and TA has always helped me solve my problems before I set out on a trip. I don't, however, set an itinerary. I leave home with a list of "this is what we can do and how to do it"s and when we get up in the morning, we apply that list to to our "this is what we feel like doing today" mood. Sometimes, that's nothing more than a good cafe and a stroll!

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

Thanks, Troggs. I'll explore these links later. I already have a pretty good picture of Monaco and I know of the elevators, but I don't really plan to look for them, unless I happen to stumble across them. I'll spend a whole day there and there's nothing I'd be in a hurry for (other than not paying for a cab back), so I'll wing it as it comes. It's quite interesting how cheap public transport is in such an expensive place and how outrageous the cab fares are. Considering how "strong" our pathetic dollar is, cabs are really a last resort.

Yeah, the Riviera should be about relaxation, laziness, enjoying the sun, eating, etc., but it's certainly not for Americans with a limited time off.

Mentioned in this post
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
19. Re: Eze Village to Villefranche Sur Mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, June 21, 2013