We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Which Eze hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Topic
How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

At the end of June 2012 I will be taking 5 of my grandchildren ages 11-21 on a cruise...How far is Eze from dock? Is there public transportation? How long should we plan on being there? Anything else to see in the area that we can easily get to.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Since the demolition of Nice bus station it is now simplest to go via Beaulieu. From the port of Villefranche you need to walk up hill for about 200 yds to the main road. On the side of the road nearest the sea you can catch bus 81 or 100. Bus 100 will often be full on a June morning but there is usually space on the 81. Give the driver one euro for each passenger. It takes about 10 mins to Beaulieu, where you need to transfer to bus 83 which takes about 20 mins to Eze village. People vary in their interests but most will spend between one and two hours in Eze, the view of the coast being IMO the most spectacular part of the visit. Villefranche is also a very pleasant place to spend an hour or two.

From Eze you could return via Nice, where there is enough to occupy you for a week or more. My suggestion would be to get off the bus at the Port and walk around the headland to the Promenade. Depending on how the time works out, you could have a look at the old town or simply return to the Port to catch bus 81 or 100 back to Villefranche.

All buses cost one euro and schedules can be seen at lignesdazur.com. I spend quite a bit of time in Villefranche and have occasionally met people who have literally missed the boat, so don't cut your return time too fine. There are not many buses from Eze and, very occasionally, one is missing. In your situation I would aim to get back to Villefranche two hours or so before the sailing time. That way if you run into a problem you will still be on the ship when it motors out of the bay.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Sorry, I left out the buses from Eze to Nice, which are 82 &112.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

LondonBob, Great directions! We will be returning in the fall, and you are absolutely right that the bus from Beaulieu is the way to get from Villefranche to Eze.

Leahraise, here is the link to the 83 bus schedule:

www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/…

Note that the buses stop running from Eze at around 6:30. I think 100 will be the bus that shares the same stops with the 83 at Le Port, Le Plage and Petite Afrique in Beaulieu. 81's stops are different, but Beaulieu is small and the stops are likely to be close together. LondonBob will know.

lignesdazur.com/ftp/lignes_FR/100%20hiver.pdf

Your cruise director is likely to send you to the Villefranche train station to take a train to Eze du Bord and bus 83 to Eze Village, but you are likely to find a crowd outside the train station, especially in June. The buses run every 45 minutes, and if the line is long (as it is likely to be at the time of your trip), you may have to wait through more than one routes. The 83 bus route originates in Beaulieu, and the bus will be most likely to empty, or close to it, at that point. In September, we took the train from Villefranche to Eze du Bord and the bus had two passengers on board when it arrived at the train station. The bus driver allowed all of those waiting at the bus stop to barely squeeze onto the bus, but with a few more passengers, that would not have happened. In other words, LondonBob knows what he's talking about and don't pay attention to your cruise director if they tell you differently. LondonBob has "boots on the ground" experience. I would copy the time tables and for the 81, 100, and 83 bus routes and carry them with you. If you get lost or confused, showing where you want to go on a piece of paper will be helpful and it helps to count your stops.

LondonBob, I'm trying to get my bearings, and so excuse me if I seem a bit confused. ;-) When you say "main road," you aren't talking about the one that fronts the coastline or but one that is further up, correct? Is "up from the harbor" from the the Hotel Welcome end of the town or the train station end? I think the Octoi stop was the most convenient from where I saw cruise passengers arriving, and while we didn't do this on our trip in September (jet lagged!), I did see a sign in the square above and a bit to the left of the Hotel Welcome/Cosmos restaurant that showed a direction to Octroi. Am I on track? Forgive me, but I'm trying to get my bearings from the coastline to a 81/100 bus stop in Villefranche, and I think like a tourist. We don't have a clue and are a bit intimidated when we arrive in a new place. I know enough about Villefranche to appreciate what I don't know, and you've always been so helpful.

Leahraise, if you read #6 on this post, I've shared my experiences traveling to Eze:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

If you do a TA search for "Villefranche" and look at travelers' photos, you will see pics that will show you what you are likely to see when you arrive in port. The orange building is the "Hotel Welcome" and the beach and train station will be further down to your right. Le Cosmos restaurant is to the left and a bit behind the Welcome and you will see the yellow chapel slightly behind your arrival point and facing Le Cosmos. Sorry if this is too much information, but I need visuals when I arrive in a new place...

Have a great trip!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Hello Troggs,

Going east Octroi is usually the best stop as a few people almost always get off the bus leaving space to get on. By the 'main road' I mean the one that carries traffic between Nice and Monaco. Is this term not used in the US? Go up hill anywhere from the seafront and you will get there. For people leaving a ship turn left and follow the road up hill. A year or so ago the mairie erected signs to Octroi and elsewhere. You are correct in saying that if, as sometimes happens, a large number of people decide to take the train when heading for Eze they may not all get on at Eze Bord de Mer. Provided the crowd is not so large that they are unable to buy train tickets, which I have seen occasionally, it is also possible to get off at Beaulieu and change to the bus there.

I have never used bus 83 as I like the walk up the hill but for standing passengers going around the hairpin bends must be fun! Good advice to have something on paper at which to point. As you know, pronounciation of French is close to impossible for people with zero knowledge of the language.

Many buses now have screens showing the stops and announcements in English as well as French giving the name of the next stop (although on one journey last summer they were all incorrect). I would guess that the aim is to have this service on all buses which will make tourist life much simpler.

Don't know if you use the phrase 'self praise is no recommendation' in the US but some of the pics on my website (all taken by me) are as good as I have seen of the area, including one showing a tender taking passengers off a cruise liner. You can see them at villefranche-flat.co.uk

I am not giving the address in an attempt to get business as we can get all we need in other ways but TA may think I am and therefore delete this post.

All the best,

Bob

Los Angeles...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Thank you sooo much for all your information. The pictures of EZE looking awesome and we are looking forward to seeing it in person,

leahraise

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

Once you get the 81 bus figured out and should you have the time, you might want to consider visiting Villa Ephrussi in Cap Farret, a short distance beyond Beaulieu. The stop would be "Passables."

http://villa-ephrussi.com/en/home

LondonBob, I, too, enjoyed your pictures and leave them up! I see the Rolling Stones are back in the picture! Leahraise, the Stones recorded "Exile on Main Street" in Villefranche!

Edited: 4:51 pm, December 02, 2011
7. Re: How to get from Villefranche where ship docks to Eze

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, June 22, 2013