We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to see local wildlife?

Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Places to see local wildlife?

I will visiting Eze with my husband and would like to know if anyone can recommend (please) any nice walks/nature reserves, where you can see some of the local flora and fauna.

Thanks

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to see local wildlife?

when are you visiting?

Are you staying in Eze village or Eze bord de mer for a few days or just one day?

fitness/mobility issues?

particular interests? eg birds butterflies, insects, spiders etc

Manchester
Level Contributor
27 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to see local wildlife?

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

We are visiting this month and will be staying in Eze village.

No fitness/mobility issues (unless I count my mild asthma!).

We are particularly interested in spotting any foxes, rabbits etc.

Thanks

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,489 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to see local wildlife?

Not too sure about Eze area but if you go a bit further north to the Mercantour National Park you can see ibex, marmot,mouflon, hares, foxes chamoix not to mention several packs of wolves.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to see local wildlife?

Foxes and rabbits are around but are not all that common -they are much easier to see reliably in the surroundings of Manchester.

In fact, last year, i was pleased to see a fox by a lair by the side of the railway line out of Manchester, that had been in use in the same place when we lived there 15+ years ago.

I think i have seen a fox twice and only heard a couple in this area in 15 years. Both sightings, the fox has been after ground nesting wild bird eggs/chicks at the river Var.

Rabbits are also not as easily observed here

That being said, both foxes and rabbits live in the area of the Parc de la Grande Corniche above Eze village -there are extensive areas to roam/walks etc there.

info here

cg06.fr/fr/…

You might see red squirrels Also Crestedtits [TA wouldn't let me write this correctly due to \profanity issues./ and a wide variety of birds of prey are pretty easy to see

insect life is very diverse - you can see a vast variety of crickets and grasshoppers in any random area.

You will see lots of butterflies, especially swallowtails. Cleopatra /citron de provenceetc

Lots of interesting spiders -especially look out for different coloured crab spiders in the flowers-they change colour to blend in with their host flower and wasp/tiger spiders [so called because of their striking yellow and black bodies -not because of stings etc as they are harmless to humans ] -they build a large web with a characteristic zigzag woven in

Lots of lizards, geckos etc even the european green lizard can be seen basking on rocks if you are lucky -it is a really large lizard up to 40cm/16inches , males have a startling blue throat /head

info on parc de la grande corniche - you get there either by walking up from Eze village to taking bus 82 or 83 up to either plateau de la justice or col d ' eze depending on where you want to start.

further afield -parc vaugrenier's lake is excellent for herons - grey, purple, little egrets, great egrets, night herons , bitterns, surropuring trees have tree creepers, wood peckers of various kinds, nuthatches etc etc also red squirrels

There are masses of natuue watching opportunities along the coast and inland to more mountainous regions it is really impossible to describe or list them all .You can also go out on a dolphin/whale watching trip from villefranche or cap ferrat

5. Re: Places to see local wildlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 02, 2012