We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

victoria bc canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Hi all, my wife and I are currently in Cannes, trying to plan a couple day trips. Wondering where we should take the rental car next - we spent some time in Grasse and Chateauneuf and enjoyed it very much. Could always do Monaco/ St Tropez/ nice in a day too I guess. Any favourites?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Head to the perched village of Biot; just below the village if an interesting glassblowing workshop where you can watch the artisans at work. Across the way is the superb International Art Glass Museum, which always has a first-rate exhibition. The small restaurant a bit farther down (we're talking perhaps 4 or 5 places) is much favored by locals; go early for a good lunch.

From Biot, drive up to the pretty small town of Valbonne. Then go over to Vence and St-Paul-de-Vence. On another day make the drive up into the mountains and visit the artisan village of Tourrettes-sur-Loup and perhaps visit the Confiserie Florian confectionary factory (free tours and samples!).

Please spend an entire day in Nice, a beautiful and interesting city. You couldn't possibly do St-Tropez/Monaco/Nice in one day, and Nice is by far the most enjoyable IMO.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,921 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Good suggestions by Catullus. I would suggest turning right on the D2210 at Vence and heading for Gattieres and Le Broc for a tremendous panorama of the Alps.

Also - Haut de cagnes, the tour around the Cap d'Antibes and east of Nice La Turbie,the Corniches, St Jean Cap Ferrat.

No you won't do St Tropez and Monaco on the same day -and some here might suggest St Trop is not worth the candle.

Ed

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Hope that you are enjoying your stay in Cannes

From Cannes the drive along the coast to St Raphael is spectacular, taking in the Esterel Cap Roux Cap du Dramont. Then perhaps head back via the A8 and if you are keen on perched villages, a selection from Vieux le Cannet, Mougins old village, Mouans Sartoux, Valbonne, Vence via Tourettes sur loup and Gattieres Le Broc should max you out

<<the tour around the Cap d'Antibes and east of Nice La Turbie,the Corniches, St Jean Cap Ferrat. >>

With a car, this definitely would be on my list too. Biot is OK as is Haut de Cagnes... but parking can be difficult and you may find yourself in perched village overload if you try too many ( ..we do :)0

If you want to explore Nice, I would recommend that you leave the car behind for the day and take the train instead- it will be quicker and removes the hassle and expense of car parking in the centre of the city. Consider too breaking the return rail journey to Cannes to look round Antibes old town.and have an evening meal

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
9 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Does anyone know the name of the restaurant mentioned above by Catullus "down the road from the glass factory in Biot"? Any readers have restaurant suggestions in Vence? Antibes? We prefer the less touristy places where the locals eat.

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
882 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Great post and great responses. Thank you. I will print out, take with me and do likewise. Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

The name of the restaurant is La Verrier. You can't miss it, as it's the only one there. Along the road to Biot you'll see a sign for Glassworks. Turn in there; a large parking lot will be on your left. Head for the International Art Glass Museum and keep going. The restaurant is at the far end on the left. We usually stop and reserve a table before visiting the glassworks and museum.

I think I posted a review of the restaurant on this site. My husband ordered a daily special with a name I didn't recognize. It turned out to be an incredibly delicious ham hock, carmelized and braised.

Edited: 11:54 am, June 08, 2013
California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,637 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

Oops! It's Les Verriers.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,921 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

For Antibes I remommend you just take a stroll down Rue Sade or Rue James Close. Just follow your nose and study the menu boards outside -that's the fun. The open air restaurants in the big square Place National are at their best too now - bedlam in July and August.

Ed

9. Re: Cassis? St Paul Du Vance? Eze?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cannes