We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rental without drivers licence

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter rental without drivers licence

Hi Tripadvisors,

I will be in Cannes from 12 til 21 July 2013 with my boyfriend. Our plan was to rent a scooter for a day and just cruise along the beaches. I found several companies where we can rent scooters and with smaller scootermodels (50cc) it says you do not need a drivers licence. Does anybody know if this true? Can you rent without a drivers licence in France?

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

For 50cc scooters I think it depends on the company you rent from.

If you are over 18 years old , some companies will allow rental without a driving licence

(others do not require a driving licence if you were born prior to 1988, some insist on a *car* driving licence for all rentals)

Hope this helps - double check with the companies you have found to be sure of their individual conditions

Edited: 7:25 am, May 24, 2013
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

Thank you for your reply! We are 22 and 24 years old and from The Netherlands.

It just seemed odd because here in the Netherlands no way you could rent a scooter without having a scooter or drivers licence.

I checked some other cities in France aswell and it seems they also do not require a licence for smaller scooters. I will check with the company just to be sure!

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

carefully read the small print of any contract and make sure you are personally insured, not just signing insurance provided

by the company as it protects them mainly

and you could end up massively out of pocket

for bump /scrapes

to bodywork etc

Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

Only people born before 1988 can drive such a 50cc or a mini car without a license.

No license mini cars for rent in several places too." voiture sans permis" in french.

www.aixam.com/en/licence-free-car/legislation

…service-public.fr/F2890.xhtml#N1013D

In your case, it seems you must either hold a -BSR -french road safety certificate or a license from your country.

Most rental companies happen to mention that BSR .

5. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, May 25, 2013
6. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, May 25, 2013
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

<<It is mandatory to have a BSR ( Scooter training ) or driver's licence to rent a 50cc or being born before 1988. If you do find a company that will rent you a scooter without, you won't be covered by any assurance.

The alternative is to rent an electric bike, It will allow you to explore enough in and around Cannes for a day or two, will be cheaper than a scooter and do not require a licence what so ever.>>

RivieraS

Thanks for clarifying that and for the electric bike information.

It is rather worrying that there are companies which seem to advertise scooter rental without the need for a licence.

Unfortunately, because the Trip Advisor rules prevent self- promotion and adverising , I expect that your posts will be removed.

Hopefully the relevant information you kindly provided will remain in my post for future reference

Edited: 6:29 am, May 25, 2013
8. Re: Scooter rental without drivers licence

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 27, 2014