We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes or Nice for one night?

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cannes or Nice for one night?

Is it worth the trip from Paris for just one night? We will be in Paris from 5/17-5/26 and I was thinking it might be fun to head down for a night on the 21st. Wouldn't the train ride alone be worth it? Fyi I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and see a lot of beautiful landscapes, but I've heard France is just amazing. Also, the rates for the bullet train are very good.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
12,254 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

It's 6 hours each way and while the Cote d'Azur is an amazing destination...thats a long way for one nite. And when you get there....you will be bummed that you have only one night.

kent
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

No doubt its a long train journey for one night but for the first 3 hours its high speed as your cross france and once you reach the coast a more sedate speed for the 2 or 3 hours to Cannes or Nice mostly right by the sea. But plenty of leg room if you take 1st class and you need to book an upstairs seat on the Duplex TGV. Booking for the 21st May already open on the www.tgv-europe.com web site and from now on fares will only rise as may approaches..

Take a look at www.seat61.com for all train travel in France (and Europe) and the options for both day and night travel. Taking the night trains to Cannes/Nice could be an option to save on hotel costs but you will miss the views.

Note on the 21st May Cannes will be busy with the film festival and booking a hotel there at normal rates will be impossible.

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

Can you stay 2 days? And go by airplane?

Personally wort it for me

the south of France is magical and not like California. Yes you have the sea but there is history and ancient roman ruins and olive tees and vineyards originated by ancient Greeks and a blend of cultures and civilizations. The food is amazing too.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

Maeappel - this seems like something that often occurs to us after a few glass of good Isla Giatt wine ('It seemed like a good idea at the time..'.).

The Cote d'Azur is a great place to visit but I agree with datthe coast that a 6 hour each-way journey ( which is very scenic for a large part) for a 1 night stay is just not realistic. You will need a minimum of 2 nights just to cram in a very basic whistle stop tour - fortunately all the tourist hot spots are close together and you can see a lot but still wish you'd stayed longer.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

If you dont mind long journeys and a quick taster of a place it is doable.

In recent years i have done a lot of marathon day trips where the travel time has been 10-12 hours and the time in the target place been 3-5 hours and enjoyed them, so having one day overnight would be a bonus.

It really depends on your travel style and mode of transport.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

I'm with those who say that you might come back more frustrated about having only a short time in the Cote d'Azur, but if you love it, you'll be back. A little "Nice" may be better than no "Nice!" To give you a little more time, consider that train from Cannes to Nice (pack a picnic and bring some wine!) and consider these options:

1) Fly back to Paris late in the day or in the evening. Flights are really reasonable and frequent between the two cities.

2) Take the late day IDTGV train to Paris:

http://www.idtgv.com/en/

4) Fly home from Nice. Delta has a direct flight to JFK, and other airlines might have flights that could also work for you.

I never consider our train travel "down" time on a trip. Paris > Nice will not be wasted time if this is really what you want to do.

Edited: 12:21 pm, February 28, 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

I just noticed your picture...I'm thinking you might like the "Zap" car on iDTGV! Forgive me if that's presumptive on my part, but know that it came from an orange penguin!

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

Some of Provence is actually quite a lot like southern California, especially the area around San Diego.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

I would definity prefer the zap, however my 65 year old father may prefer the zen.

This is sounding doable if we take the 7:15 there and the 19:00 home the next day. Thats over 24 hours to see some sites and have a few meals. My father is not a sun bather so lazing around doesnt need to be part of it.

My boyfriend said he would love to visit sometime so we could make a longer trip out it another time, and include Italy and Ibiza maybe.

Thank you all! With day trips to Champagne and Versailles we may be now taking ourselves away from Paris too much.

Edited: 2:36 pm, February 28, 2013
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cannes or Nice for one night?

I think my dad wants to do it. That gives us 4 full days in Paris and 7 nights, day trips to Versailles and Champagne, and this 36 hour jaunt. Advice on which town to go to? Nice, Cannes, or another? We will want to see ruins and beautiful architecture, but mostly just walk around. Obviously it should be somewhere easily accessible by train and bus, where we can soak as much in over 24 hours.