We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

Save Topic
Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

Hi everyone. I have a few questions as we are hopefully heading to the south france on our holidays next summer. It will be me my partner and my sister going. We range from mid 20s to mid 30s and not sure where to stay. We want to be near the beach, and be able to see culture, but also wouldnt mind somewhere where their is a bit of nightlife. Not clubbing or anything just nice meals out and bars where we can have a drink!

We will be travelling by train from London as my sister recently suffered a collapsed lung and missed out on her holiday to cyprus so as she cant fly this seemed the best alternative. Going to be a long journey but we maybe stay somewhere overnight on the way.

What kind of accommodation is best? We would like somewhere with a pool to lounge around. Not cheap but not to expensive as the train fare will be quite a bit! I see on websites lots of parks with apartments and pools but you cant book for june/july yet so I have no idea of prices.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,973 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

I'd suggest Nice as a base - lots to see, do, eat, drink and explore and an excellent hub for public transport around the area, too, on the cheap and extensive bus/train system.

Provence Alpes Cote...
Level Contributor
634 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

Yes, I think Nice or Antibes will make a great base for you from which to explore.

From either destination, it will be easy to hop on the train or the bus to visit Villefranche, Beaulieu, Eze village and other spots to the east and Cannes etc to the west. And you should have enough choices of accommodations in Nice to find something reasonable. Check out the ratings on this site for various hotel/rental options and see how folks who have stayed there rate them.

For your trip from London, why not make a stop in Paris for a day or two? Nice way to break up the trip and you can find decent deals there too.

Level Contributor
245 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

Train fares may not be as expensive as you think. A good starting point for using the trains in France and in europe in general is

It even tells you how to cross Paris. I dont knon how far from London you are but by booking 4 months in advance Eurorstar tickets are £69 return and some UK stations have special fares to get to St Pancras. so its just over 2 hours to Paris. Then you need to allow 1 to 2 hours to cross Paris and then its 5 and a quarter hours to Cannes and 30 mins longer to Nice. Return fares Paris to Nice can be as low as £60 second class but again you need to book 3 months in advance and mid week travel if often cheaper then weekends. For few pounds or some times for the same price more first class and book upstairs on the duplex TGV for the best views. Its a long haul to do in a day so I like to take the afternoon train to Paris, stay at a hotel near the gare de lyon (about £100) 5 min walk to the station, load up with bagettes, and catch a train about 9 to the south just in time to book in.

Best TGV booking site

If you want to avoid the crowds opt for June.

4. Re: Where to holiday in the cote d'Azur?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, December 15, 2013