We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in the Cote de Azur

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
A week in the Cote de Azur

We arrive in Barcelona in the end of June and plan to go to San Remo and back within a week (8 days).

We are a family of four with two girls age 16 and 13.

Where would be the best places to stop?

And - do we need to book hotels in advance?

Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

How do you plan to travel ?

Car/ train

Norway
Level Contributor
42 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

We will rent a car in Barcelona.

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

Why?

That is a fair drive in a week if you expext to stop and see the area.

Why not just stay in northern Spain?

If you still decide to do the drive you would be best to book hotels in advance.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

Examples:

On way towards Nice:

Sete (350 km from BCN)

Bandol (250 km from Sete)

(Stay in one of the towns around Nice, either in France or Italy)

On way back:

Arles (or any village around it) (some 250 km from Nice)

Argeles sur Mer, St Cyprien Plage or Collioure (another 250 km)

Somewhere around Barcelona with an easy access to the airport (another some 300 km)

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

It is a very long way to travel by car- there and back in 8 days and you won't have time to get out of the car and see much or enjoy it.

I too would suggest that stay closer to Barcelona and take full advantage of the area nearer there or if you do venture into France go no further east than Montpellier

If you do decide to go all the way to Nice, book hotels in advance or your trip may turn into just looking for a bed every night.

Or consider flying direct to Nice from Barcelona using low cost then use public transport in the Nice area... more than enough to do in 4 days.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

I know people who drive 1000+ kms per day, so I would not oppose you doing Barcelona-Nice and back in 2 or 3 sections each way. The 250/300/400 km per day we are talking about here, is not that much with modern cars by motorways in good condition at an average speed around 120 km/h. I could do Nice-Barcelona in one day, if necessary. I would not choose to do that voluntarily, which is a different story. "Driving" and "vacation" have no positive connection in my mind.

I agree completely, that the French coast from the Spanish border to Montpellier and the inland regions there have a lot to offer and going further fishing is not at all necessary. - On the other hand, if you have a plan, why don't we help you try to implement it as you request...

I also agree about flying rather than driving. Flying saves time and often also money. - It may be equally exhausting, especially if using those budget airlines...

7. Re: A week in the Cote de Azur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 pm, June 21, 2013