We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location on cote d'azur

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
location on cote d'azur

We plan to be there for a week and have a hotel booked in Ville Franche sur mer but I am wondering if we should spend 2-3 nights in/near Antibes so as to more quickly access the towns west of VilleFranche and so as to have better beaches. Do you think early May will be warm enough to swim (probably not?)

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
New York, New York
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location on cote d'azur

I don't think it's necessary to stay closer to Antibes for the sole purpose of being in closer proximity to beaches.

Antibes is less than a 30 minute drive from Villefrance. I will leave to other posters to comment on the train/bus since I have no experience with that. It is quite easy to have a day trip from VSF to the Antibes area.

While staying in VSF, we also took day trips to Cap D'Ail, Cannes, Plage de Passable and Nice, as well as Antibes. I found VSF to be a perfect place to explore the rest of the Rivera. We also had dinner in Cap St. Jean Ferrat and Monaco. The only area we did not make it to that I wish we had was St. Tropez. Each point was between 15 to 40 minutes away from VSF.

For the record, Cap D'Ail was by far my favorite beach. Yes, Cap D'Ail, Nice, VSF and Antibes are rocky or pebbly (to varying degrees) but the beaches are still gorgeous. I am not in the camp that believes sandy beaches are better or nicer than pebbly ones. In fact (and other will certainly disagree), I quite disliked Cannes even though the beach was sandy.

As for it being beach weather in May, I am not sure. The water will of course be cold. But the water is pretty cold in August and September too. Your body acclimates after the initial shock anyway! As long as the beach clubs are open, you could always lounge with sweatpants on!

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Cap d'Ail
Cap d'Ail
Cannes
Cannes
Plage de Passable
Plage de Passable
277 Reviews
St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
10,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: location on cote d'azur

I would not consider a 2 location stay for places as close together as Antibes and Villefranche. Although I would query a 30 minute drive between the two ( and parking everywhere near a beach is difficult). The trains run regularly - half houly- between the two in not much more than half an hour. And all along the coast to Monaco, Cannes etc.

FYI there were people swimming yesterday in Antibes but close enquiries established they were Swedish. The water is a bit warmer I think this year as there is not much snow water to run off the Alps. I expect to be swimming in Early May and usually start at Juan les Pins which is sheltered with a sandy bottom and the sea is warmer - non Swedish people already swimming there!

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Monaco
Monaco
Europe
Cannes
Cannes
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location on cote d'azur

thanks very much!

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location on cote d'azur

thanks! great advice. we won't drive, either. I have heard that the public transportation is excellent

5. Re: location on cote d'azur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, June 20, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cannes