We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes in July

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cannes in July

After much deliberation we decided to rent an apt somewhere around Croisette st. We are traveling with a teenage daughter and I am wondering if we should rent a car. We are staying for 6 days and would love some help with our itineraries. Do I need a car to visit Aix? I was thinking to rent a car just for a day because we love to see some of the back roads. Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes in July

Skip the car; from Cannes you can take the train to Aix. I wouldn't recommend renting a car for just one day, nice as it would be, because the rental rate will be sky high. But if you would use it for 3 days or more, then that's a good way to see the area away from the coast.

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes in July

The train gives great views of the Esterel coast but obviously not the flexibility of a car. It is a fairly long day trip to Aix however you do it.

The car rental rate for one day shouldn't be more than your 3 rail fares, but driving especially from mid July onwards is not the easiest.

When in July are you visiting?

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes in July

We take trains as often and as far was we can. This allows the would be driver to enjoy the scenery, and some of our best times and views have been on a train. Pack a picnic and you're good to go!

For day trips in the Cote d'Azur, here is a post I've made describing how I get from the various bus stops and train stations to the parts of town I want to visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187216-i137-k4846…

This is my list for side trips from Cannes, so pick through it and see what appeals to you. In July, I would plan on setting out early or later in the day to places like Eze and St. Paul de Vence. These are popular destinations for cruise trip passengers and these travelers are usually out and about en force during the midday. Another tip, buy round trip tickets or a Carte Isabel and visit the train station in the evening before you travel. Lines can be long and slow moving, especially in the mornings, and the ticket offices in some of the smaller stations close mid day, in the late afternoons and evenings. The Cannes train station is convenient to most anywhere you stay in Cannes, so a late day trip to the train stations is not a big deal.

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannes in July

we will be there second of July.

san francisco
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannes in July

The big sales at stores start around July 8th, not sure how long they run...2 weeks.

Cannes has the BEST stores and sales , if you're into this !

6. Re: Cannes in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, May 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Cannes