We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes Hotels - Which one???

LJD
Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Cannes Hotels - Which one???

Me and my Husband are looking to book a holiday to Cannes next July. (1st week of the Builders Hols) I've looked at so many hotels and thought they looked lovely but then I've read bad reviews about them here! (Hotel Amarante) I am looking for a beach front hotel, not unlike the Martinez but this hotel is way over budget.

Basically, we got married this year and our last few holidays have been city breaks, so we're looking for a relaxing sun holiday in a nice fun but sophisticated area..

Any suggestions??

Thanks! :)

Level Contributor
4,140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes Hotels - Which one???

Hi there,

Sure you've already found that all the hotels on the Croisette(opposite the beach) which are in the same category as the Martinez will be in the Martinez price bracket- ie the Carlton, Hilton and Majestic.

Slightly cheaper and getting good reviews now it's been renovated is the Grand Hotel. Other cheaper options on the Croisette are the Beau Rivage and the Splendid.

Going past the old port, there is the Sofitel which is very expensive and then the (cheaper) Belle Plage which faces the beach on Square Mistral. These two are handy for the old town and the Plages du Midi beaches.

Recommend checking out the Grand and the Belle Plage to see if they fit your budget, possibly the Splendid too if you must have a seaview. Some of the cost comparison sites like www.hotelscomparison.com and www.travelsupermarket.com will give you an idea of the going rates for your dates.

Have you considered hotels a couple of streets behind the Croisette where there is much better value to be found ? Suggest Le Fouquets, the Victoria, the Canberra or the de Provence -all are in a good area just off the Croisette behind the Hilton. Another one worth looking at is Hotel America just behind the Majestic. All of these are less than 2 minutes walk to the beachfront.

Hope this helps

LJD
Ireland
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes Hotels - Which one???

More than helpful thanks a lot! I'll look into those hotels this weekend and let you know how I get on! Thanks!! :)

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes Hotels - Which one???

We use Expedia and other similar sites (no connection with any) and booked Martinez through Expedia at a very good rate (we love art deco). However we discovered the room shown at the very reasonable price quoted was not the same room; we were going to be at back in a smaller room. The site wouldn't help till we contacted Trading Standards, one call from them and we got the room shown at our original price. However......the room was OK but a bit disappointing for the class of hotel (a fairly common theme on TA re hotels in this area). BUT breakfast was poor; bad service and at dinner there was NO service; we walked out. Complained to manager; got free day's access to beach; free lunch (again poor); free T shirts and caps (great for Orlando).

Another trip we booked direct with Ritz Carlton through their Intercontinental Hotels site which promises to match any other quote (and does). Again surprisingly good value; room excellent; no breakfast; but private beach restaurant was superb and excellent value. Just suggesting try the webs etc.; you can get surprisingly good prices esp when comparing to UK costs. Sometimes Expedia etc offer better deals to 5* than they do to 4*. (We have also stayed at Hotel de Paris over Xmas - half price compared to 4* UK hotel - and Negresco in Nice).

If you really want something special try this approach; another suggestion would be 3/4 nights in Cannes; 3/4 nights in Nice; so much to see there much of it on the "other" side of Nice from Cannes.

4. Re: Cannes Hotels - Which one???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cannes