We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can do in Cannes!

Which Cannes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can do in Cannes!

Having arrived back on 2nd Aug. from Cannes after 2 weeks, I have to say,-- you can do it in Cannes even on a limited spending budget while there.That said, what a holiday destination Cannes is.

For those who are wondering if to go there or not, GO!, you will not be dissapointed.

Not being used to impeccable public transport at home,my daughter and I arrived in Nice airport and within 30 minutes were on the clean,air con 210 express bus to Cannes and a further 45 minutes were at our wonderfull rented apartment on Rue Pasteur.What a service!!

The countless hours reserching this forum for tips,advice etc really paid off and to you Soames for your tips on places to eat, we tried most of them and were perfect.

Not forgetting of course NiceLife! but we did prefer Cannes to Nice mainly for its beaches,sorry NiceLife! but hey, your tips on bus connection to Cannes were perfect.

Speaking of beaches, we did not use the private beaches but used the municipal beach (still private!) which was perfect,costs approx. 20 euro for 2 deck chairs ( not sunbeds) with parasol per day,just great.

Used the coastal train service to take in sights from St.Raphael - Monte Carlo, except St.Tropez to which we went by boat.

Could write for ever on beautiful Cannes from its promenade, its fireworks, its islands and the friendliness of people living and working there but suffice to say we had a fantastic holiday with great memories and I for one cannot wait to return.

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can do in Cannes!

rykar ~ I'm so glad you enjoyed Cannes! I love it, location is everything and rue Pasteur is great ! ~ nice restos in the area, so near the beach and the Croisette, while being "tucked away"~ very peaceful! (I too can't wait to return next year).

ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Thanks Soames, Rue Pasteur is just a great place, safe and quiet and yet, a few metres back from la croisette.

As you recommended,we eat at "Les Poelons" and it was fantastic (and we were staying overhead ! )

On the morning we were leaving, we had breakfast on la Croisette at "Vesurvio" in the sunshine, lunch in Nice (albeit in the airport!) and dinner in Ireland in the rain - well, nearly perfect !

Will definetly stay longer next time!

Bahamas
Level Contributor
935 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can do in Cannes!

"We'll definitely stay longer next time!"

rykar ~ Cannes grows on you, we're up to 6 weeks annually now (a semi working holiday, on the PC) but I could stay 3 months, easily.

Will you be writing a report for TA? Cannes has often been given a bum rap, but we know better, right? LOL!

ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Can do in Cannes!

soames;

after 2 days in Cannes it not only grew on me but completly took me in !! I got to know a lot about shopping too in Nice as my 17 year old found herself in paradise there with 'seasonal sales' in the big department stores!! just as well the trains back to cannes run late in the evening,LOL!

will do on the review also

Kyiv
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Sir,

Enjoyed your post very much. We are also planning a trip to Cannes from 29 August until 5 September - will come from Paris by TGV. Would you be so kind to give more details on where the beach you went to is located? From what I read on Cannes beaches, the situation seems a bit tight and what you wrote sound refreshing.

Thanks,

Max,

Kyiv, Ukraine

ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Hi Max,

The beach in question is on the west end side of la croisette about 5 minutes walk west of the hilton hotel towards the Palais Festival right beside the public beach.It is private with deckchairs ,(not sunbeds) washroom facilities, life gaurds etc. and costs 20 euro per day for 2 deckchairs and parasol or approx.14 euro for 1/2 day when we were there.

It does not have a restaurant or bar on site, if you want this service be prepaired to pay up to 60 euro each on the hotel owned private beaches for the privilege !

You could also take a 15min. boat trip from the old port to the beautiful Iles de Lerins at approx.11 euro return each where the beach there, though not very sandy, and the water, crystal clear, is perfect for swimming too.The treasure here though is tranquility !

Hope this is of benefit to you and you enjoy your trip,lucky you!

Kyiv
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Many thanks, Rykar! I will try to make postings from Cannes. The boat trip to the island is one of my most enjoyable activities on holidays. Will start today revealing to my wife that we are facing another boat trip that cannot be overturned :))

Will try to catch up from Cannes.

Salt Lake City, UT
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Rykar,

I'm going to Cannes in October and the apartment on Rue Pasteur sounds like it could be ideal as I'll be there for a children's film/tv festival and the city is supposed to be packed. Would you mind sharing the contact details for renting the apartment?

Thanks.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
410 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can do in Cannes!

We returned from Cannes a week or so ago.

We stayed at the Suitehotel on Boulevard Carnot - I have posted a review . I would strongly recommend the hotel for a couple with 1 child - maybe 2.

Very very good deal of 289 Euros for 4 nights or 389 Euros for 7 nights..... huge room with microwave and fridge

We drove out along the coast road towardsthe small airport and found free car parking spaces and free public beach spaces - no problem.

there is also a train station on the front near to where we used to go - the first stop out of Cannes I guess

ireland
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Can do in Cannes!

Hi chiqbee,

I found the apartment at holiday-rentals.co.uk/france/…property no.65434, where you can see photos etc. and where you can send your message to the owner Hilary

Hope this is of some help to you.

Get answers to your questions about Cannes