We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

Which Antibes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antibes
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

I live in Antibes and would like all visitors to be aware that there is a MASSIVE pickpocket gang working the trains and stations along the line. They attack when you are boarding the train and again when you get off they follow you as you open your bags to get out tickets and maps. They are ruining holidays down here. Please make everyone aware of this problem. The police cannot do anything as many of the stations are open with no barriers and unless they catch them in the act there is nothing that can be done. It is so difficult to report a theft as you have to have all your credit card numbers, expiry dates etc Rachel in Antibes/Juan les Pins

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Nice, Villefranche-sur-Mer
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

Having just had my wallet lifted in Nice, I can assure you not only are pickpocket gangs active on the trains, they are targeting those boarding buses on the lignes d Azur. The authorities seem to think that handing out leaflets to "be aware" they have done their job. If you are aware, they just lift someone else's wallet instead.

They need to use dummy tourists to catch the pickpockets in the act. Sounds a bit too much like hard work for the French Police, who rarely venture out after dark, and like their jobs to consist of smoking and chatting to their friends while on duty.

Edited: 6:03 pm, July 10, 2013
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

<French Police, who rarely venture out after dark, and like their jobs to consist of smoking and chatting to their friends while on duty.>

I was astounded to see so much of this on my recent visit. It is so unprofessional to smoke whilst on duty and makes them look like lazy security guards mooching around in the sun, running down the clock until their shift finishes.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

After dark? Actually the Municipal Police station in the centre of Antibes -Place National -closes at 5 PM! Nor can Municipal Police 'investigate ' anything - they must catch the perpetrator in the act. Otherwise they have to ring up the Police National to do the job. One rarely spots the Police National in Antibes -they are usually only seen on the highway.

The railway SNCF police do quite a good job of patrolling the stations and have very impressive dogs altho these probably frighten tourists rather than the thieves.

Ed

4. Re: Cannes, Antibes, Nice, Monaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 13, 2014