We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

Which Antibes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Healdsburg...
1 post
Save Topic
Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

As part of our Italy trip, my husband and I will be based in Milan for a long week. Plan is to take many train day trips out (Como, Parma, etc.) Is it feasible to train down to Monacco, do an hour walking tour, say, and lunch and then back in one day? We enjoy seeing the countryside from trains and simply want a brief experience on the Riviera. On our last trip to Italy two years ago we visited an amazing amount of cities and villages for an amazing experience but were on a dead run the whole 20 days. This time around, I'm going for a broader picture and more relaxing adventure. So, again, is Milan to Monacco for lunch and then back simply doable and too much to accomplish in one day, or could it be an easy, fun experience? Your valuable input will be much appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,136 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

A day trip to Monaco is not possible. The train journey takes at least 4.5 hours each way.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,662 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

Monaco is HIGHLY overated....absolutely not worth the investment in time and energy.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

I cannot imagine hauling myself hours and hours on the train to get to the pile of overpriced pile of rock that is Monaco.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

Its a long train journey, but if you have the right frame of mind/personality for such a trip, and are really keen to see Monaco, then it is potentially do-able. You will need to take the earliest train from Milan and change trains at ventimiglia for a Monaco train

Personally, i do similar marathon train day trips a few times a year but i rarely have lunch at the destination as it eats into the already limited time and i prefer to feast my eyes and take lots of photos.

However , if lunch in Monaco is a bucket list thing, go for it.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
27,704 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

For places on the italian Riviera accessible by direct trains in around three hours, consider Finale Ligure and Alassio on the west side of Genoa, and Monterosso in the Cinque Terre on the east.

Even nearer, Santa Margherita Ligure (next to Portofino) takes a little over two hours direct, and lovely Camogli 2.5 hours with a change of train.

But if Monaco is your dream, do it.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,110 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

I'm not sure relaxing adventure is in it - but if you could manage an overnight you could add in Villefranche (and maybe Nice) and have a relaxed hour in a really beautiful place. Mind you,I did bump into a man once who had arrived in Monaco who said he had 'exactly 15 minutes to spend in this town'. It's that kind of place.

Ed

7. Re: Milan to Monacco day trip via train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 16, 2014