We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones for rent?

Which Antibes hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
307 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones for rent?

We arrive in Antibes for a two week stay on 5/13. Our family - parents 50, young adults 18 and 21. We know our cell phones won't work here (fine with me - I do not want calls from work!!!) but I wonder if there are phones that can be rented so that we can call each other if we are going seperate ways for touring the area? Not for calls to/from USA but just for local use?

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones for rent?

All the experts here indicate that it is cheaper to buy pay as you go mobile phones rather than renting. Unlocked phones and sim cards are now cheap all over europe including France.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones for rent?

And I know a man you can get you a cheap phone! (Sorry, joke refers to NiceIrlande's photo)... one plan is to unlock the phones you have if they are tri or quad band gsm.

You can buy such a phone on eBay or kijiji or Tigerdirect.com quite cheaply. Do a Google for 'unlocked GSM' and you may find stores in your own neighbourhood selling them.

When you get to France purchase a Lebara SIM card. They seem the least expensive option these days. Someone on the forum reported recently they even got an operator to instruct them on the setup in English.

In the past I have used http://www.callineurope.com They'll supply you a phone and SIM for about $60 and you'll have it before you leave. Very convenient. I like the fact that they bill to my credit card, although this scares some people. But I never run out of minutes. Their per minute rate is not as low as Lebara but the convenience is hard to beat. I've used the phone on 2 trips to France and one to Greece and it has worked perfectly.

Rob

Edited: 9:11 am, June 05, 2011
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones for rent?

As Nice Irlande says no need to think about a rented phone. In Antibes' The Phone House' ( name is in English) on Avenue Robert right beside the central Charles de Gaulle Square sells cheap unlocked phones and sim cards, and La Poste ( the Post Office) in Rue Lacan sells a variety of phones from different networks. In addition you can go to the shops of SFR, Orange etc that are 'tied' networks but buy a cheap phone with a Pay as you Go Choice that you can top up as required buying a phone card from many newsagents and other outlets.

Ed

Edited: 11:51 am, June 05, 2011
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones for rent?

Dropped a word : 'The Phone House' is on Avenue Robert Soleau.

Ed

Houston, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones for rent?

This store (Phone House Antibes) would not sell me a SIM card. Instead, they insisted that I needed to sign a 2-year contract, teling me that I could easily cancel the contract once I returned to the states. Let's just say that this was not correct, to put it mildly. Despite days of efforts, the contract still stands and the charges just keep on coming...

I suggest you go to a more reputable establishment (there is an Orange store on the other side of Place de Gaulle, and don't let them tell you that you can't get a prepaid SIM card. Obviously, you need an unlocked phone to do this.

Otherwise, you can get a prepaid Internet "key" (cle) which is a USB device. And don't let them tell you that you need a contract for this either.

I should mention that cell phone signals from Orange in Vielle Antibes are quite spotty... especially in the center of the old area... you may have to walk out to the seawall ... I was there for a month, and had to make most of my calls while sitting on a bench out in the harbor area.

Edited: 5:18 pm, February 20, 2012
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phones for rent?

Sorry to hear that about The Phone House ( BTW others please note they are a branch of UK The Carphone Warehouse). It is possible you came across an overenthusiastic commission-based salesman. But Orange which used to be France Telecom is a good place.

Phones are very widely available now for about 30 euro including say 10 euro credit in many supermarkets - as are SIM cards.

You are right about phone and wi-fi signals in Antibes. The network is inadequate for the amount of traffic - the international yachting activity is apparently the cause - there was something in the press last year about this.

Ed

Edited: 3:03 am, February 21, 2012
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,515 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phones for rent?

Just an up date on this. I checked with The Phone House in Antibes and they now have SIM cards ( 9,90 euro including 5 euro credit - rechargeable from 5 euro up). Also unlocked 'pay as you go' no contract phones from 19 euros for a very basic model upwards. These products are available from all their French branches. Don't let a salesman try to sell you a contract.

Ed

8. Re: Cell phones for rent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 01, 2013