We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
cycling

Have just returned from a five days leisure

cycling holiday in ile de re and would love to do the same on the Riviera if any one has suggestions I would love to hear from them.

Thank you

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,736 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling

Charley...you are talking two completely different destinations. As you know....Ile de Re is tiny, relatively isolated, flat and and is really purpose -built for bicycle travel. As a matter of fact (as you know) the bicycle is far and away the most used mode of travel there.

The Cote d'Azur is on the other end of the spectrum. It is huge compared to ILe de Re....it is not flat....cars, trains and buses are the modes of transportation used.

It's really apples and oranges.

Not saying that there are not cyclists on the Cote d'Azur and there is an infrastructure to support them, but it is a very, very different destination.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,160 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling

There are plans to complete the partly laid down cycle path along the whole coast from Cannes to Menton - at present you can cycle much of this and for example there is large cycle traffic between Antibes and Nice. The famous Promenade des Anglais in Nice is to lose 2 car lanes in favour of cycle paths.

Cycling in the back country which rises vertically behind Nice would be another matter.

Ed

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling

Tokyo & Amsterdam are the only places where I have seen more cyclists than on the Cote D'Azur but the vast majority on the Riviera are experienced bike riders on expensive bikes. (Everybody cycles in Tokyo but only on the pavement- US sidewalk) I am a life long cyclist (very life long!) and I have never been anywhere else where drivers are so considerate. Last week the driver of the bus from Villefranche to Nice stayed calmly behind a group of cyclists for the ten minutes or so it took to Nice Port. (A British bus driver would have been furious and quite possibly run them down.) However, traffic can be heavy and novices are likely to find the experience frightening. Cap Ferrat is a lovely place for a short bike ride and some locals take their bikes there by car. If I am feeling under the weather I do laps of the Cap, as my usual rides, away from the coast to roads where there is almost no traffic, involve ascending very substantial hills. It is many years since I have cycled west of Nice, where traffic is much heavier and I don't like sharing space with pedestrians but, as others have pointed out, there are paths being developed in this area.

If you are an experienced, young and/or fit cyclist, there are great rides based anywhere between Nice and Menton and far into the Alps but if you are new to cycling and not very fit you might not find it much fun.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
537 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling

Indeed, Bob. Quite a few of the World Tour pro cycling teams use this area for training, and a fair number of pro riders live in the area.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
8,160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling

Stephen Roche Irish overall Winner of the Tour de France (1987) is to be spotted around Antibes.

Ed

mayo
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cycling

Thank you for all replys to my query I will keep looking for somewhere like ile de re just with warmer sea for swiming

7. Re: cycling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 06, 2014