We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour or DIY

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Tour or DIY

We were planning on doing a full day French Riviera Tour.

Nice-Eze-Monaco-St Paul de Vence-Antibes-Cannes-Nice.

Is this tour possible and advisable to do on your own or would the tour be the best option.

Liven Up Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Art and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Segway Mobilboard Nice
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, City Tours
Liven Up
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour or DIY

Are you saying that you want to do this all in one day? Have you looked a map or done any research on these destinations?

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour or DIY

they do a day guided tour of these destinations, just wondering if it was possible to do yourself. done alittle research on bus to nice-eze- monaco/monte carlo where it was suggested to take bus 82 or 112 instead of doing a guided tour. that is why i thought I would ask ask others if they thought it was doable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour or DIY

I couldn't imagine to cram all of this into one day. If you just want to "tick boxes" and say you have been there...go for it. If you actually want to see anything in these wonderful destintaions and enjoy yourself....take more time. At least another day.

For example, Monaco is a tiny, tiny place and the common recommendation is to take 2 or 3 hours to see it. Nice is a city of 300,000 + people. To visit it for an hour and say that you have seen it is a bit of a stretch.

But everybody travels differently....suit yourself

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour or DIY

I take it that you will be leaving from a cruise shop docked at one of the ports near Nice. That being the case, I strongly recommend that you take the tour offered by your cruise line so you can be sure of returning to the ship at the required time. However, be aware that you won't really be seeing much of what's listed above unless you are leaving very early in the morning and returning in the evening. Normally you would need at least 2 days to visit the spots listed, and trying to work out train and bus schedules on your own in a single day could be difficult.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour or DIY

Thankyou for your replys. No we arent on a cruise but travelling through Europe by train covering what you would see similar to a Cosmos/Trafalgar Tour. We will have 2 nights and 1 day to expore Nice as well as our full day we are going to explore the other places in the French Riviera area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour or DIY

OK...maybe it's just me, but you are travelling halfway around the world and you are going to spend one day in Nice and then you want to see Cannes, St Paul de Vence, Antibes, Eze and Monaco in one day. It doesn't make sense to me....but it's your trip.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour or DIY

OK, Suggestions please, we are definately not on the right track bythe sounds.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,792 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour or DIY

Your itinerary is spot on for the area's highlights.

But no you will , i agree not do this DIY in a day. I doubt even a tour will show you anything but a a lot of traffic and some glimpses of the sea. Better take some photos of road signs to show at home.

2 days minimum - (1) Nice/Eze/Monaco by bus, return by train via Villefranche. (2) Nice/St Paul by bus then back to Cagnes sur Mer by bus to change to the train for Antibes and Cannes and back to nice.

Ed

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,365 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour or DIY

Hey Jocelyn....don't want to get "preachy", but a lot of the magic of the South of France is the pace of life. You need to slow down! Get up in the morning and find a lovely cafe to enjoy a cafe au lait and pain au chocolat....and just watch the world wander by. While you are doing that...talk about what you want to do for lunch!

If you slow down and embrace the Cote d'Azur tempo and don't make it about seeing 5 destinations in a day...your Cote d'Azur visit will be a highlight of your trip. You will remember a lovely, lazy lunch at a waterfront restaurant in Villefranche with chilled rose' a lot longer than charging around St Paul de Vence in a hurry, so you can get to your next stop.

This from a guy who used to live on the Cote d'Azur and I miss the wonderful pace of life every day. I can't wait for every visit back...

Just sayin'...

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour or DIY

Thankyou very much for that everyone. Will definately foget about tours then and do one or the other. Surprised though as alot of tour companies offered this tour.