We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion for best village

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Need suggestion for best village

My sister and I have 3 days to stay in cote d'Azur before heading to Paris. It will be our first time in France. Which village will give us a true feel for the area. I have looked into Eze, Biot, and Vence but open to other suggestions. Hopefully not so full of tourist we miss the french experience. Love the ocean, art, food.

Thanks for any suggestions. We are going mid June

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Need suggestion for best village

My order of perfernce would be Vence [not st paul de vence] , then Biot , Eze is very lovely, beautifully restored but very chocolate boxy

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Need suggestion for best village

I'll agree on Vence - its improved hugely in recent years.

The difficulty with the next choices are whether the simultaneous presence of coachloads of other tourists (not you of course) degrades the charm. Personally I prefer the less visited

Haut de Cagnes scores high on medieval character without being overrun with tourists. In fact hardly any.

La Turbie also gets a few points from me for being off the beaten track with unbeatable vistas over Monaco and to Italy.

For the brave, the medival village of Entrevaux, via an hour on the Chemin de Fer de Provence little train. Tourists on the fingers of one hand.

Whilst combined with a visit to the fleshpots of Cannes, escape to the old quarter of Le Cannet two miles north.

I will relent however on Eze Village which probably is a must, tourism or not. Just be sure to pay to enter the tropical garden at the summit. Its not to see the cactuses - it holds the view to ransom.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Need suggestion for best village

Thanks so much! It is hard to know about the more authentic villages from travel books. So I appreciate the info and look forward to checking them out. Also is a car needed? Any favorite restaurants or must dos?

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Need suggestion for best village

Thanks so much for your response. It is so difficult to decide from internet or travel books so your input is greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
20 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Need suggestion for best village

No a car is definitely not needed to get around the Riviera. Buses and trains at very low cost get more or less everywhere (as long as they are not on strike). The money you save on car hire will afford you bottles the best champagne every night.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
225 reviews
256 helpful votes
6. Re: Need suggestion for best village

I would also say go for Vence, although it is a bit bigger than a village.

You are well connected by public transport, and buses are so cheap and easy to use.

If you like fish/seafood make sure to try L'Armoise:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187245-…

Also the Matisse Chapel is a wondrous sight and if you are looking for slightly less touristy and authentic villages make sure to visit Tourrettes-sur-Loup.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Need suggestion for best village

I like your thinking. Now that I have looked at the places you mentioned I think I will alter my plans and stay a week since there seems to be so much to enjoy. Thanks

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
8. Re: Need suggestion for best village

My copy of 'Perched Villages of the Alpes Maritimes' lists 75 hill villages in the department. That's inhabited ones. And doesn't include the Var. Some are virtually inaccessible - but that's the purpose of hill villages. The author says he spend 10 years visiting them all so you may have to extend your trip even beyond a week !

Ed

Napa, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Need suggestion for best village

Thank you all for your thoughtful input. Now that we have decided to stay 7 days in the area would there be different suggestions for a base considering we love views of the ocean, meeting people, enjoying new experiences and the simple pleasures of life?

10. Re: Need suggestion for best village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 25, 2010