We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Hello,

We will be traveling in end of June to the south of France (staying for 2 days, after visiting the Verdon Gorge) and would like to stay very close to a beach that is not too crowded. We have two teens and are looking for a quiet, wide, beach, preferably sandy. We like to relax and stroll along the beach, and occasionally swim. We will be relying on public transportation.

Would appreciate suggestions on beaches, and specific hotels. Would love to find lodging for 2 nights right on the beach that is not too expensive. We would be willing to have 2 rooms in a hotel for the four of us.

I have even read about beaches in frejus that sound nice, and wonder if we should consider out that way, or stay more in the central area.

Also, how are the beaches in beaulieu sur mer for teens. I have read some comments online about the water and beaches strewn with litter. Is that typical or not?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Frejus has a big sandy beach but is somewhat cut off from the "Riviera". Sand at Cannes,Juan les Pins (best for a family),Antibes and Villefranche. Beaulieu is a step away from Villefranche but can't really be considered a major beach place. There are many small idyllic coves around the Riviera but wide sandy swathes are not part of the geology ...sand is shipped in from quarries,courtesy of the taxpayer, to keep visitors happy.

Litter strewn ? ...Tourists bring in everything from wine bottles to pizza cartons but beaches are cleaned every day by the municipal authorities.

Ed

Mentioned in this post
Frejus
Frejus
French Riviera - Cote d'Azur, France
Cannes
Cannes
Antibes
Antibes
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

There are very few hotels in the Cote d'Azur that are right on the beach and those that are will be expensive.

BTW....nobody here knows what "not too expensive" means. For most, you have to cross a boulevard / busy street to get to the beach.

Let us know what your budget (in euros) is per night..

You are not going to find a "quiet" beach at the end of June.

Edited: 5:25 pm, March 25, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Thank you for your replies. We would be fine with crossing a street if that would allow us easy access to a nice beach for the family. I would prefer to stay under 250-300 euros per night, -- we budgeted that lodging costs would be higher in this part of France.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Thank you for your reply, W.B.Loud-Glade. I have been looking at JLP. Would you have any suggestions for lodging there that is by the beach? Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

Juan les Pins has quite a young vibe....so it should be good for teens.

The beaches are busy..

Antibes and Juan les Pins make up a peninsula...you can easily walk from one to another.

For accomodations......Mas Djoliba.....in Antibes....but easy to access JLP.

Mentioned in this post
Antibes
Antibes
Mas Djoliba Hotel
Mas Djoliba Hotel
404 Reviews
Antibes, France
Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

We go to JLP at this time almost every year. The closer you get to the beginning of July the busier it gets on the beach. As you walk in the direction of Golfe Juan it gets quieter but less central.

Vence, France
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

When its just for a large, sandy and not too busy beach, the Plage de St. Aygulf close to Frejus is hard to beat

https://goo.gl/maps/cUQm7qDa61s

But there are no hotels nearby and you'll have to drive there.

But better beaches west of Saint-Tropez. How about this, kids will love it:

http://riviera-villages.com/KON-TIKI

Cavalaire has a wide beach which is never full, but the town is a bit dull, holiday-resort only:

https://goo.gl/maps/XVKWZCjrjX82

Mentioned in this post
Saint-Aygulf
Saint-Aygulf
Frejus
Frejus
Saint-Tropez
Saint-Tropez
Antibes, France
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

In JLP the Garden Beach Hotel is the only one that is "on the beach".

Ed

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

JLP is so compact that many of the hotels are a short walk to the beach. Practically everyone (including us) leaves the beach as we found it - litter free. However, if you are in JLP on a Summer evening when the crowds have left you will see a local man out with his metal detector using the same pattern of search on the sand. I am sure he has found plenty of coins and the odd piece of jewellery over the years. He has been there every evening we have been there.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
733 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for large beach for teens/family/Hotel recs

I agree with the recommendations for JLP. Lovely beach with fine sand and lots of action with cafes close by. I visited in Feb, it was quiet then, but it was by far, my favorite beach.