We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

Level Contributor
4 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

Hello everyone.

I'll be in Provence (St. Rémy) next May and I need to get to Milan from there. What's the best way? I'm not finding flights or trains from Avignon (which I think is the closest big city) to Milan...

Help needed here.

Thanks in advance!

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Destination Expert
for Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

Avignon is a very small airport, Marseille is a better bet and the same distance from St Remy. There are direct flights from Marseille to Milan.

You may have had trouble finding trains because there are no direct routes, you must change at the border. A train from Avignon or Marseille to Vintimiglia would be the first step (with a likely change in Nice), then Vintimiglia to Milan. It's not a very fast route.

The other option is to drive - but that's about seven hours on the motorway with a one way drop off cost that may put you off.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

The fastest routes by train from Avignon TGV to Milan run northwards rather than via Ventimiglia. There are options with one change of train only at either Lyon St Exupery or Geneva, though it can be slightly faster to have two changes of train. It takes at least seven hours, usually longer.

https://www.capitainetrain.com/en will sell you tickets from Avignon TGV to Milano Porta Garibaldi or to Geneve. http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html will sell you tickets from Geneva to Milano Centrale

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

Also check the train times from Avignon Centre as this has direct TGVs to Lyon St Exupery.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
46 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

If you re not in a hurry, you can also get the Starshipper bus from Lyon Part Dieu, which connects Lyon and Turin (costs around 35 euros) and leaves you outside of the Turin railway station. From there you can take one of the frequent trains that connect Turin and Milan (1 hour and 55 minutes,costs around 10 euros).

Ofc the TGV is a better option but if you book at the last moment it will cost a lot while the cost of the way i described is stable.

5. Re: What's the best and fastest way to go from Avignon to Milan?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 24, 2015