We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon report including 3 day trips

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon report including 3 day trips

Thanks to TA we had a lovely long weekend in Avignon. TA advice was especially valuable because Sunday and Monday many places are closed and we had to plan carefully. Here's my report:

We were there mid October, so no crowds--it would have been very different mid summer I am sure.

TGV from Paris, arrived Friday afternoon. We picked up car rented via AutoEurope, drove to town. We stayed in a classic room at the Hotel L'Europe, decent rate from booking ahead. Very conveniently located, easy to find because just inside the gate, valet parking at 18E per night.

Explored the town, then a delightful dinner at La Fourchette.

Saturday drove to Uzes for market day, stayed for lunch and explored the town including climbing the Duke's tower, the botanical garden. During lunch the town was so quiet we could get a wonderful sense of what it was like in the olden days. We had planned to go to Pont du Gard but it was raining and our feet were worn out so we bumped and went Monday morning instead. Dinner at La Petite Peche.

Sunday we went to Les Baux and toured the castle--fabulous--and then went to Les Carrieres which we enjoyed a lot. There is a dual ticket that you can purchase in Les Baux that covers both Chateau and Carrieres. We drove back through Arles, which was quite shut down, so we headed back to Avignon, went to Pope's Palace and great temporary contemporary art exhibition there. Had a drink at La Mirande which has gorgeous public rooms--we sat there for 45 minutes while we rested and recuperated!. Dinner at La Fou du Fafa (extra mile walk when we got lost)

Monday, Pont du Gard, where we spent 2 hours but wish we had planned more time to hike and picnic on trails, then back to Avignon for part two of art show which was open Monday--most other museums closed. TGV to airport.

Every choice was the right one--we decided to give time to fewer spots and spend more time at each which was the right decision--we probably hiked and climbed and walked 8-10 hours a day and that was to our liking. By slowing our pace we noticed more, and fall is a lovely time to walk and explore--not sure I would have enjoyed as much in 90 degree heat with crowds.

All of our meals were excellent--reserved several weeks ahead--these are tiny restaurants with one seating! Well priced for the excellent food and wine (at least compared to Paris!)

Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon report including 3 day trips

Sounds lovely, we will be there late September 2014 for about 10 days. Did you find driving in and out of Avignon difficult? I plan to arrive in Avignon on Wednesday via TGV and leave on Sunday to go to the market at Isle sur la Sorgue than to St. Remy for several days before going down to Nice and flying home from there. I will be certain to leave extra time for the Pont du Gard

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon report including 3 day trips

Thanks for posting your trip report. It's good to hear you had such a good time and enjoyed your visits; glad you managed to fit in Uzès, a lovely place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
67 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon report including 3 day trips

Driving was not difficult as it is in say, Rome, but if you google a map you will see many entrances and exits to the city and every roundabout has multiple signs. It was challenging and we made lots of mistakes. I did not get the GPS from Auto Europe and I wished I had, although I don't know how helpful it would have been.

We had initially planned to go to Isle Sur la Sorgue but after the charm of Uzes we didn't feel the need for a much bigger market and we were not planning to do much shopping.

Please ask on the forum for more advice--from what I understand Avignon and St Remy are so close together that you'd be duplicating your base for exploration. We chose to stay in Avignon because we wanted to have nice dinners and drink wine and did not want to drive after that.

Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon report including 3 day trips

The drinking and driving is definitely an issue in my planning and I am seriously considering staying in avignon several more days for just that reason. I am hoping that St. Remy although close is also somewhere we could walk to restaurants in the evening to give us a feel for a smaller town

5. Re: Avignon report including 3 day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 27, 2014