We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Avignon

Which Avignon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
159 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Avignon

Hi

We have one day (Friday) spare in Avignon and would like to go on our own (by bus or train) to a nice little town, easy walking to see the sights (we like history/cobble streets/little restaurants). Thinking Aix en Provence, Aries, Nimes or Uzes, but would love any other suggestions and advice on which would be the best, or if we can incorporate two places in one day that would also be great.

(We have booked a tour already to Pont du gard/Les Baux de Provence/Gordes and Roussillon).

Thank you so much

florida
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Day trip from Avignon

Aussie: May I ask where you're staying in Avignon? And which small group tours you've found that seem good? I keep going around in circles about where to stay. (Has to be quiet, with good shower bathroom.)

My husband and I (non-drivers also) are looking to do something similar next June--IF we can find a convenient and not terribly expensive way to get from Monte Carlo to one of the Provence towns. (We'll have too much cruise luggage to take train, and we're elderly.)

Thanks-- and happy travels to you!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
159 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Day trip from Avignon

Hi Nancy

Had a quick look (not sure if I am the best person to advise you, it will be our first time in France), it seems train is the best way to go but you need to change at Nice (we want to visit Monte Carlo/Cannes area too so after Avignon we are staying in Nice - seems to be central to see the French Riviera). I can't find any trips from Monte Carlo but maybe if you travel to Nice (busses seem really good along that route), have a couple of days there and take the following trip, although it does cost $3871:

backroadstouring.com.au/tour-brspfr/…

Could you not store some of your luggage at Monte Carlo and travel light yourselves to Provence, would be a cheaper option. We are staying at Hotel L'Horlodge, seems to be very central, there are some lovely tours through http://www.provencereservation.com but thanks to all the replies I received from TA we are only doing one tour and seeing the rest on our own (we don't really like to be tied to a tour timetable but if you don't drive sometimes you need to take a tour). Provence looks amazing, wish we had allowed more time there, hoping we will see a lot, but with more time we could have really 'experienced' it. Hope this helps

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Day trip from Avignon

Aussie GC......

nancyFlorida has multiple threads going on this Forum. She is unwilling to take a train or a bus as she fears that they won't be able to handle their own luggage. They certainly wouldn't be able to handle their luggage on the tour that you suggest.

There was temporary luggage storage in Monaco this summer for the first time...I believe that it is closed now. And leaving luggage in Monaco chains them into having to return to Monaco t ocollect it.

florida
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Day trip from Avignon

dat: Maybe when you're in your 80's, you'll better understand your error in charging us with being "unwilling" to take train or bus. And, yes, I have posted a number of queries, and I've been grateful indeed for the many kind and thoughtful responses. If you and any others are bothered by my multiple threads and by our being "unwilling" to take public transportation, please simply cease responding, instead of insulting us.

Aussie: Thanks so much for responding, and in such considerate detail. We love Nice very much. We stayed at Hotel La Perouse and found it in every way a delight. One of our great pleasures was visiting the Matisse and Chagall museums (by bus, since our luggage was comfortably at the hotel!) The Chagall, especially, blew us away; we stayed there for more than three hours and then went back again another time we stayed in Nice. There is so much to see around Nice: Visit St Paul de Vence if you can-- we did that by bus also; it's a bit over-run with shops for our taste, but what a lovely little town otherwise.

We enjoyed Eze as well, and that had shops, too, but I think not quite as cheek to jowl.

Have a lovely visit, Aussie. And dat, I do thank you for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11,992 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Day trip from Avignon

Nancy....myy intention was not to "insult" you.

I certainly didn't complain about the threads that you are particpating in...more to advise AussieGC, that regular contributors on this Forum have read on different threads what you are looking for.

Perhaps you can suggest a different adjective. The dictionary describes unwilling as "Not ready, eager, or prepared to do something." I thought it was apropo. I thought about "unable", but felt it was insulting.

florida
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Day trip from Avignon

dat--I apologize for being too quick to see insult, really mean it.

27. Re: Day trip from Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Avignon