We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Ossining, New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

What I'm really looking for is a small charming town to spend a day and a night travelling between Beaune and Nice. I think Avignon might be larger than I was thinking of but it sounds lovely. Do you think this would be a good choice? Do any of you have other recommendations?

Many thanks!

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Aivgnon is a large city, definitely not a small, charming town. If it's charm and small you want, head for St-Rémy-de-Provence. That would be a good place to break your trip, as it's not far off the autoroute that will then take you to Nice; several of the routes into St-Rémy are shaded by trees, making for a very pleasant ride.

Another possibility for a stopover would be one of the Lubéron villages. I'm not a big fan of that area and will let someone else make recommendations for a stop there.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Avignon is indeed a large city. In fact, if you catch it at the wrong time of day, it can feel down right congested. Should you drive to Avignon you have the added headache of trying to park your car - a task that can be hellish.

I'm a fan of Lourmarin in the Luberon. Quaint and quiet, it offers the essence of country Provence. Look into the Hotel Mas de Guilles. One of my favorites.

Ossining, New York
Level Contributor
90 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

You guys are really great to be so generous with your knowledge. Thanks so much for giving me some help with this!

Bookwoman

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Underhill,

You seem to have travelled quite extensively throughout all of Provence. I'm curious as to what your very favorite places are.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

My favorite is actually not Provence--it's the Drôme, right above Provence. My husband and I are very fond of the small town of Dieulefit and the perched villalge of Le Poët-Laval, once a stronghold of the Knights of Malta. We've stayed there at the hotel/restaurant Les Hospitaliers quite a few times and loved it--it's a magical place to be, especially at night.

However, I'm also very fond of St-Rémy and the Nice region, particularly the the peninsula of St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat; I could sit and look at the various views for hours. Being in sight of the Mediterranean always makes me happy.

One other place that I really love is Moustiers-Ste-Marie, up in the mountains between Grasse and Manosque.

Isle sur sorgue...
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

When are you travelling? You could consider the town of Isle sur Sorgue which is only 10 mins off the motorway at Avignon sud (Junction 24!) from there you can see the hill top villages of Provence. I prefer that side of the motorway to the other side ie St Remy etc and I think there is more to see. Maybe I am bias because it is where I live!

Escargot

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Underhill,

Have you been to Cassis? I just watched a Rudy Maxa show on Povence and Cassis looks like a cute place to visit.

I too like to be near the water. It just gives me a good feeling to see the sea.

Northern California
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

We made a brief stop in Cassis on our way to Aubagne one year--it would be fun to go back a stay for a while sometime.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

Cassis is charming, and the Calanques - the long narrow rocky inlets - between Cassis and Marseille are really beaautiful. A great place to explore if you like hiking and/or rock-climbing.

The only problem is that I suspect it gets horribly crowded in July/August, possibly June also. I've only been there a couple of times in the fall - late September/early October - and there were still plenty of visitors around then, though fewer in October.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avignon as a stopover from Beaune to Nice?

I've been to Cassis countless times including a recent trip there just two weeks ago. Great place. Cute port, great restaurants, a few good shops, nice hikes along the calanque, great proximity to other villages of interest nearby. The only downside might be the limited number of beaches with quick access and the throngs of people that can flock there on any given holiday. On a holiday weekend, you can arrive in Cassis at mid day and have to park a mile from the city center.

If you go, Try to get a room at the Hotel Roches Blanches. Excellent location which takes care of parking and beach access. It's even walking distance to the Calanques.