We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card

NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
credit card

We are traveling to Avignon in June. What kind of credit card do we need to bring in order to get euros from ATMs there?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,619 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card

If you bank in the USA, you do not want to ever use a credit card to obtain cash, euros or dollars. The fees and interest rates are horrendous. Use the same ATM card you always use.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card

You will find a many threads on TA about not using credit cards to get cash in France or anywhere else for that matter because of the high fees. You should use your debit card to get cash. If you bank with a major US bank, you should be able to find ATM machines in Avignon to get cash -- just the same as you would in NYC. A quick search on Google should lead to several.

If you do not have a debit card, you should probably get one, but if you do not or cannot do that, then just about any major credit card (Visa, MC or Amex) can be used to get cash. But, beware you will pay a lot in fees and interest on any cash obtained through your credit card because it wil be considered a cash advance and interest will accrue from the date that you obtain the cash plus you will have the foreign transaction fee.

Mentioned in this post
NYC
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card

And even with a debit card, do you need a special pin number? I think I've heard that in Europe, only cards with special chips or pins will work?

Thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card

No special PIN number is needed, just your usual one, and you don't need a chip & pin card. Use a debit card, not a credit card to get cash; tell your bank ahead of time that you will be doing transactions in France; and if you getting a debit card for the first time, get it from a US bank that won't soak you with fees.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card

KImiNYC,

You are thinking of European issued credit cards. In the USA, banks use magnetic strip technology on our credit cards (swipe and sign) and in Europe chip and pin technology is used; that means that one enters a PIN to use a credit card issued by a European bank. You should not have problem using your US cards to charge purchases if there is a person processing your transaction, although I did once come across a cashier in a store in Paris who said that he did not know how to process a charge on an American credit card. It is my understanding that some machines that accept credit cards will only accept cards with Chip and PIN technology. In that case, you need cash, although I use my 4 digit PIN and my US issued ATM card which has a Mastercard logo and the machines have always worked fr me.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Ottawa
Level Contributor
251 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card

Some ATMs in Europe do not know what to do with a six-digit PIN, if that's what you happen to have. In Italy (don't know if this applies in France) the machine can be confused by a PIN beginning with a zero.

7. Re: credit card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 26, 2014