We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting solo in late April

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting solo in late April

I am visiting Avignon for 4 days at the end of April. I have read in a 10 year old guide book it is quite unsafe, I am on my own so would be keen to hear honest opinions (I am from London so used to city life).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,803 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting solo in late April

In the areas that tourists frequent, Nice is very safe. Get yourself an updated gudebook! :-)

Kansas City, USA
Level Contributor
254 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting solo in late April

Its quite safe on the whole. I have spent several month long vacations with my Wife, daughter and on occasion my parents and I have never had a worry.

Its a tremendous town, have a wonderful time!

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting solo in late April

What was the name of the guide book? I've lived here for 13 years and Avignon has always been considered safe, with the exception of a couple of small pocket areas you'd never likely find yourself.

Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting solo in late April

I lived in London for 36 years, and I moved to France seven years ago. I don't know about Avignon, but I live in a smallish village in the Aude, and I never feel to be in any danger at all. As others have said, it's best to get an up-to-date guide book (that's a good idea anyway - things change).

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting solo in late April

Thank you all, I appreciate your advice and will update my guidebook! I look forward to my visit and lots of wandering.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,019 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting solo in late April

Just to add my thoughts to those of everyone else; in years of many, many visits to Avignon I have never ever felt unsafe on my own in Avignon at any time of day or night.

Level Contributor
3,963 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting solo in late April

I'll be honest, I used to have reservations about Avignon. However the better I got to know it, the better I liked it. Now I am quite happy to wander around the city on my own after dark. Never had any problems.

Level Contributor
304 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting solo in late April

I have never felt unsafe in any of my trips to Avignon. Although I have never walked the streets at night alone I would not have a problem doing this as I have done so during the day and never felt threatened. Go and enjoy.

9. Re: Visiting solo in late April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 22, 2014