We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

My wife and I plan to drive from Barcelona to Provence in early-March for a few days and are trying to decide between Avignon or St. Remy as a base.

Given that it will be offseason, we wonder if the larger Avignon is more desirable. St. Remy, however, seems to be more central to Avignon, Arles, and Les Baux, the areas we hope to visit during our stay.

Also, we would appreciate any thoughts on driving from Barcelona to Provence. Given our schedule, this seems to be the best way to maximize our time (vs. taking the train).

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

I'd fly from Barcelona to Marseille...vueling does the route. If you drive...you will need to drive BACK to Barcelona or be hit with a substantial (hundreds of euros) one way drop fee for your rental car if you leave it in France.

Look a little further east into the Luberon for a base. Bonnieux is lovely.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

I agree with the suggestion to fly. Though, I just checked flights here on TA and there were no non-stop flights and what I found was expensive. There are flights to Nice - I found a $53 fare in mid-March. Which I still would recommend over the one-way car rental.

The drive from Barcelona isn't that interesting and will probably cost more than flying once you factor in the drop off fees for renting in one country and dropping in another.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

St-Rémy would make for easier access to sightseeing when you head out in your car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

If you have a car, I would suggest St-Remy rather than Avignon. Avignon is a big town and, even in March, parking would be either a problem or expensive.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

There is lots of traffic around Avignon and not very pretty commerce, so I would not pick it as a base for that reason. It will be a chore to drive out and back in after a day of sightseeing. So, as between the two you are considering, St. Remy would be a better choice. However (isn't there always one?), I would think in terms of a more charming base then St. Remy. Take a look at some photos on line of the towns. Since you are thinking in terms of a base larger then a small hilltop village, then how about Arles or Isle sur la Sorgue?

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,509 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

I think that driving into and out of Arles every day would, like Avignon,not be ideal. How about Uzès?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

Catullus, I am with you on Uzes. Beautiful little town, nice market, great restaurants.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

How about Arles- its my favorite place in provonce and fairly accessible, the food is good and there lots to see and do

Good luck :-)

9. Re: Avignon or St. Remy as base in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2014