We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving/parking in Avignon

Holyuoke MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Driving/parking in Avignon

2 teachers, 12 middle school students, 2 rented vans in March 2010. : best to park and use public transportation? Municipal garages near the monuments? Any safe onstreet parking? Any hostel that offers safe parking overnight?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
24,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

<<best to park and use public transportation?>>

This depends upon what you are visiting. For any destination in Avignon, park and walk. I recommend this parking lot with access near the river on the west side of town. Park on the highest available level which should allow you quick access to the courtyard in front of the Palais des Papes.

www.palais-des-papes.com/pages/parking.html

There is really no place to easily park in Avignon and it's best to leave your vehicles in the above lot - cost about 9€/day. There is plenty of parking just outside of the walled city but personally I would not leave a car/van there overnight.

Holyuoke MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

Thanks What's gasoline going for in France these days?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
24,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

Holyuoke MA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

Thank you, but the taxonomy is obscure to me. Not sure what catgegory of petrol the vans take Can I find a site that just gives an average for southern France, for reference by foreighn tourists?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

I'd definitely second Sarastro's suggestion of parking at Palais des Papes at level P0 - ie drive up as far as you can. However, the height of the vans might well be important in parking there.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

For gasoline roughly €1.25 to €1.40 per liter, for diesel roughly €1 to €1.15 per liter. You should ask for diesel vans which will get much better mileage as well as using cheaper fuel. Diesel is available everywhere.As in the US prices vary with the least expensive fuel generally being at the large supermarkets on the outskirts of larger towns. Note that US non-chip credit cards do not work in French pumps, not a problem when there is an attendant on duty, but it can be at night and/or on Sundays. (Very rough equivalents are $6US per US gallon for the least expensive diesel to $8.50US for the most expensive gasoline.)

Avignon is quite compact and you can walk most places if you are based within the ramparts.

7. Re: Driving/parking in Avignon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 08, 2010