We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leave tomorrow for France

Washington DC
Level Contributor
776 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Leave tomorrow for France

We depart Paris on the Train on Nov 27. we have our tickets, our car rental and our holiday. Still have not firmly decided what we will do for our 4 days in Avignon. If any one has any lst minute suggestions, please let me know.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,631 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leave tomorrow for France

You should probably browse through the Avignon and Provence forum. Generally speaking, Avignon is worth a day, then you can do day trips to Arles, Pont du Gard and other towns nearby.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,183 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leave tomorrow for France

As you've booked to stay there, I'm assuming you know what you want to see and do in Avignon; the Christmas market should just have started, so there's also that for you to enjoy.

As the other poster has said, as you have a car there are many places of great interest nearby.

Visit the Pont du Gard, an amazing structure. I'm constantly impressed by it, and that it's still standing despite the might of the River Gardon in flood. Continue to Uzes, a pretty little town, with medieval buidings and arcades (if you saw Depardieu in 'Cyrano' you'll have seen them then) around the market square. If you visit on a Saturday, you'll be in the middle of a very good market, which takes place in Place aux Herbes and in the boulevards around it. Wander around, soak it all up.

You could also visit Nimes for the Roman arena, Maison Carre and Norman Foster building; a pleasant town to wander around.

Then there's Arles, maybe pop down to the Camargue to see the bulls, flamingos and white horses, and on to Stes Marie de la Mer (I prefer it in winter, without the crowds and tat). Or there's Aigues Mortes, where the Crusades set off from; wonderful walls surround it.

Only 4 days? You'll have to return, I've only just got started!

Have a great visit,

GG

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,631 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leave tomorrow for France

Remember to dress warm for Pont du Gard. It is located at a valley and the winds are freezing cold this time of the year, much colder than Avignon.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
15,183 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leave tomorrow for France

Quite right, Sammy, it can be bitterly cold then, as will be many places in the Rhone Valley if the Mistral blows when you're around. I've never found it quite as bad at PdG as other places in November, but the caveat of lots of layers as normal at this time of year, and maybe a hat and waterproof jacket.

5. Re: Leave tomorrow for France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 19, 2010