We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where?????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
where?????

I know this question has been asked numerous times but which would be a central town to use as a base for exploring provence.

Avignon is usually recommended but I don't mind staying in a B&B in a town which has restaurants close by.

On my last night I need to be at Avignon TGV to drop off the car and catch a train, I would like to catch a train around 9ish. Do you think it's a good idea to stay in Avignon this night.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

1. Re: where?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:09 pm, October 30, 2015
UK
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where?????

I agree with Diz. The advantage to staying in Avignon is its easy to get to public transport from there. So really you just need to plan enough time to get to Avignon and drop the car off in the morning on your last day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where?????

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I will plan to make time to arrive at the station in time to drop off the car and board the train.

I'm inclined to stay out of Avignon in a smaller town, just need to find one which I'll do with further research although I must say the research is what confused me in the first place, so many beautiful places it's hard to decide especially for a firt timer.

Thanks again.

4. Re: where?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:09 pm, October 30, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where?????

Thank, yes, I have used the Michelin site and it's invaluable.

Nice of you to say next time but coming from Australia, nect time could be a long way away so I am keen on finding an ideal spot. I'm thinking L'Isle sur la Sorgue only because it looks nice and so many others have written positive comments.

Also St. Remy seems nice too.

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where?????

St. Remy is probably more central to the standard tourist sights. But then again, none of the distances aournd the area are too great.

Isle sur sorgue...
Level Contributor
393 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where?????

I would say Isle is more central than St Remy if you want to visit the hill top towns ie. Gordes, Rousillion etc

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,099 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where?????

Thanks, I'm more inclined to go to L'Isle-sur la sorgue. I was looking at LesCarmes, good reviews on TA. The only concern is that it's away from town and they have a chef onsite and I'm not keen on eating in everynight. I wonder if there is an 'obligation' to dine there????

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
474 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where?????

Just got back from our trip yesterday. We went from Paris to Avignon on the TGV, picked up a hire car from and stayed in St Remy...20-25 minutes drive away (my tip is to get a small hire car as the roads in the villages are very narrow). We loved St Remy, and thought it was very central, great restaurants and so different from anything we can see in Australia. Take a trip to Les Baux...it is the most incredible village. We also went to the Sunday markets in Isle de la Sorgue and then onto Fontaine de Vaucluse for lunch. Arles was interesting as well.

Picking up & dropping the car off at Avignon TGV was very easy, and quite quick. I will also strongly suggest a GPS..it takes the panic out of taking wrong turns....also there is enough to think about when driving on the 'other' side of the road. The whole of Provence is breathtaking...have a great time.

Australia
Level Contributor
150 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where?????

Hi Aussiemerc, hubby and myself going to Provence for 2 weeks next June. Great idea about GPS, did you take it with you from home or obtain it there?

Jan