We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long?

Which Arles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kent
Level Contributor
249 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
How long?

Hi

During our trip to Provence next month, we're planning to visit Arles. I've looked on here for the "things to do" there. The Roman museum sounds like a must, so that's in, but considering we're also going to Nimes and Orange during our trip, and their Arenas and Theatres sound much better than the ones in Arles, I'm thinking i don't need to allocate the time and spend money visiting Arles' ones as well. The other "things to do" on here for Arles, don't sound that interesting either, so a flying visit might be enough, rather than spending a whole day in Arles - allowing me to visit the Carmargue (although this sounds a bit "hit or miss" depending on the Flamingoes mood too) and other attractions in the vicinity.

Is this a fair opinion of Arles or am I making a mistake?

Additionally, I'm interested in Van Gogh (who isn't?!) and have been aware of his connection with Arles for some time, but it doesn't sound like there is much there now for him as the 'yellow house' doesn't still exist and much of the town looks different apparently and I suppose not surprisingly. I've read about the Espace Van Gogh, but that doesn't sound that interesting to me, so I'm not likely to want to spend time in Arles on "the Van Gogh trail", unless I'm missing something here?....

UK
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: How long?

I have to agree about the dog-do issue, it can be a problem in France, esp if you are from the States or the UK where there is social never mind legal pressure on dog owners to poop scoop. It seems to be in particular an issue with small old towns where there are no parks and no open space for dogs - I love Antibes, for example, but the dog-do issue is an issue there too. It's a pity, and it's not specifically a French thing. My most abiding memory of Florence is not all the beautiful buildings but playing dogpile hopscotch. So many people open the front gate in the morning, let little doggie out on to the street for five minutes to do its business and let it back in again. You can more or less tell the houses where a dog lives by the state of the pavement outside! urgh.

Having said that I adore Arles, but not the two squares with all the tourist cafes in. For van Gogh stuff the monstery of St Paul de Mausole is more interesting.

Maine
Level Contributor
672 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: How long?

Hi, I read your post and I am not sure you can blame Arles for the experience you had. Sundays everywhere in Provence off season are very quiet with some exceptions such as les Baux. It's a good day to do what families do; roam around by car to see scenery, visit a larger populated town, sit outdoors and eat a big lunch for hours, or head to the sea.

kent
Level Contributor
249 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: How long?

hi Ivfr8, I agree most places are quiet on a Sunday out of season. And I only went to Arles on the Sunday because it was the first Sunday of the month and that meant I didn't have to pay 6 euros for me and the wife to get into the roman museum as it was free that day. It was as good as the reviews on here said it was and i didn't have to pay that day. I also benefited from free entry into the Reattu (something I wouldn't have done had I needed to pay because the reviews on here weren't that good for it). It was alright so I got to see it without paying. Otherwise I probably would have done one of the other days of my itin like touring the Luberon where it being a Sunday would have been less of an issue. After Arles we headed into the Camargue (around 4pm) and i was staggered at how much traffic was coming the other way when there seemed to be so little that way. I'm guessing many people had been to Saint Marie for Sunday, and as such it would have been crowded which to me equals unpleasantness normally. So looking around a fairly desserted Arles was preferable to a crowded beach or seaside resort. But as said, there was a downside to going to Arles on a Sunday in that the dodgy people could have taken advantage of you being in a lonely area.

Hi ChicChantal, the dog poo is the only bit of France I don't like (well TBH there is also people taking dogs into restaurants too - the other week this guy had this bulldog sitting on his lap looking into the bowl of pasta he was eating. The wife and I didn't even want to sit on a nearby table when we choose our table - its a god damn animal for goodness sake! - This didn't go unnoticed and the person made a comment to the waiter when he returned in French. I think he thought all English people can't speak French! Well I can't speak much French but for some strange reason all of a sudden, for the first time in my life, I understood what French people were saying - it was quite surreal - the man said 'they don't like me dog' and the waiter replied 'ah thats because they are English'. Well I think they said that because I heard chien and Anglais). Some parts don't seem as bad as others and other than Arles the other place that seemed really bad was another southern city, Nice. So maybe its worse in the south? I don't recall Florence being bad for dog poo. Horse poo yes because of the cart rides, but not dogs. I stayed very central in Flo though so maybe this helped that it not a residential area. Great city though. One of the few places I'd love to do again.

Agree about Van Gogh and St Paul de Mausolee being the best connection with him in the area.

24. Re: How long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 11, 2013