We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Has anyone attended the Gypsy Pilgrimage in Saintes Maries de La Mer in May. Any advice, info, feedback would be great. Thought it might be different thing to do

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,235 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

It would be different and I have heard it is an interesting time to be in Stes Maries de la Mer. I might have my wallet sown into my pant pockets just to be sure I left town with it in my possession.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Have you heard that there is a lot of theft during the festival? I sort of wondered about that, but have never spoken to anyone who has attended.

Roses, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

I have attended the May festival several times and did not experience or hear of any incidents of theft, though it is the kind of situation where that kind of thing might be expected because it can be extremely crowded and people are sometimes not very attentive to their belongings as they (over)indulge in the food and drink. The music is great, especially in the evening when there are impromptu performances to be enjoyed.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Hello. I will be in Aix en Provence in June and want to attend the Gypsy Festival. I plan to take the train. were you at the festival for both days? I would like to be there for two nights but it seems nearly every room is booked. Thought I might stay in Arles overnight. Any advice is welcome.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Hi I have booked my flight with the intention of coming to St Marie de la Mer Thurs- Sunday for the Gipsy Pilgrimage. Now I have found out that my friends are not coming and I don't know whether to still go.

I have provisionally reserved a camping lodge for 2-5 people as well as a hotel.

I want to know if it is the kind of place you could go by yourself are there lots of single travellers out there?

I would prefer to go if I knew I could meet people there to go out with. Anyone want to meet up and/ or perhaps share accommodation. I am female from the Uk so prefer to share accomodation with a female,

Or get in touch if you are interested in having my accommodation bookings - I may just cancel my trip : (

Cheers

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

As a side remark I believe the tendency generally & the preference of the Romas would be to call it a Roma Festival, also in France?

Edited: 1:44 am, May 18, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Never heard anyone in Les Saintes Maries refer to it as a Roma Festival, It is possible few would know what you are talking about if you did that. Importantly, though, this is not a festival. It is a pilgrimage because of its religious nature.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
5,634 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

Apparently local tourist media do talk of gitanes or gypsies mainly, whereas English-speaking news media often use "romai":

avignon-et-provence.com/saintes-maries-de-la…

versus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Sarah

In some areas, including my country, gypsy ("sigøjner" here) is considered old-fashioned or even derogatory. But not everywhere, it seems.

Edited: 3:57 pm, May 28, 2013
9. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:10 pm, June 20, 2013
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Gypsy Pilgrimage Saint Maries de la Mer

hi Dear i like to go to the festival do you know how can i do it from London/uk? is train or flight? i have to go to paris or not? hope u help me...thx a lot