We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

6 posts
Save Topic
Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

My first trip to Italy, to the small villages of the Cinque Terre, was both wonderful and not... The villages were spectacular to see, the food amazing, the markets and hiking well worth the trip - BUT, every day, until around sunset, was (to put it succinctly) tourist hell.

I have doing some research, and have found a great place to rent in the historic part of the city for the first two weeks in September. I would very much like not to have the same experience in Arles as I did in Italy. Any insight from someone familiar with the city?

Many thanks,

Tina

Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,465 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

I don't know wheat season you had your trip to Italy in, but September in Arles should find tourist numbers rather winding down; July and August can be dreadful! It rather depends just when you plan to visit. We love the area properly out of season- late and early in the year, as it's totally different.

Arles is lovely; hope you have a lovely visit1 Jo

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

I have visited both areas. In Italy we stayed in Sestri Levante, just north of the villages and were glad we did; loved visiting the villages but they were crowded.

We stayed in Arles for 5 days a couple of years ago in September, using it as our base city for the area. We loved the town and it was not crowded. We also stayed in an historic part of town right aside of the Rhone (actually our hotel was built over the ancient Roman baths) We would definitely return there. The summer is surely crowded but we found September to be a great time to visit that area of Provence.

jhgrady

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

Thanks so much for the info! I chose the first two weeks of September as the Feria du Riz is being held during that time. Were you able to experience the festival?? I imagine the later in the year, the less crowded it becomes. Any favorite restaurants? Surrounding places to visit?

Regards,

Tina

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

two favorite restaurants in Arles(both near the square where Van Gogh's Starry Night cafe is)

La Gueule du Loup, 39 rue des Arenes 04 90 96 96 69

Au Brin de Thym, 22 rue du Dr Fanton 04 98 49 95 96

Places that we loved - St Remy (great wed Market) and Glanium (right outside of St Remy near the Van Gogh Sanatarium - there is a Van Gogh walk to take in St Remy

Les Beaux - it's between St Remy and Arles - Great views, good walking spot -ruined castle and grounds

Aigues Mortes - wonderful walled castle town near the Medeterranean

there are so many other places also

jhgrady

6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

Thanks for the info, jhgrady. I'm counting the days!!!

Regards,

Tina

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,649 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

Re the Cinque Terre I believe this formerly very quiet and unspoiled region has received intense coverage over the past decade, particularly in US guide books - hence the inundation of tourists. This is unfortunately one of the paradoxes of publicising places to 'get away from it all' !

Now, I have been in Arles in early September when I found it perfect - tourists yes but not too many - most of the French have departed as the school holidays are over - the other remaining tend to be the 'panama hat brigade' - weather perfect and not too hot for walking around. The Alescamps was almost deserted and you can easily get lost in the Roman Arena.

Ed

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

I appreciate your response, Ed - and thanks for helping me decide to go ahead and make my reservations!

Regards,

Tina

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

Last time I was in Arles was mid September and most of the tourists had gone. September is outside the school holiday season for both France and the UK (not sure about other areas). I would go for it, I love Arles, loads to do and plenty of good places to eat.

9. Re: Had a so-so experience in Italy - will Arles be the same???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 28, 2010