We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apt as base for touring

Level Contributor
70 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Apt as base for touring

We are looking at renting an apartment in Apt for early April 2014 for a week. We will have the benefit of a car. From what I can see, Apt is centrally located to many other villages and towns that appear to be "must sees" in Provence. Approximately one hour from Beaux de Provence, St. Remy, Manosque, Aix en Provence, and Avignon. Slightly more to Arls, Vaison la Romain, Pont du Gard, Nimes and Uzes. I surmise that just the getting to those locations will be a treat in itself. We are first time visitors to Provence and will have spent 5 days further east in the Nice area before arriving so would like to get a good flavor of this part of Provence. Does using Apt as a base sound reasonable, or should we be looking at some other location? Thank you for your assistance. . George

Mentioned in this post
Pont du Gard
Pont du Gard
166 Reviews
Nimes, France
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Nimes
Nimes
Gard, France
Uzes
Uzes
Gard, France
5 replies to this topic
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Apt as base for touring

I think Apt is a fine town, and it has a lovely market. However, from the towns that you mention wanting to visit, I would not say it is centrally located, a bit to the east of those places. If you have already found an apartment there that you want, I'd say go for it; otherwise you might want to look a bit westward. That said, it would certainly not be a mistake to rent in Apt. Regardless of where you decide to base, you're always going to be farther away from some place or the other you want to see. It's a beautiful area, and really hard to go wrong.

Mentioned in this post
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,009 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apt as base for touring

Apt is an "OK" place. In my opinion, it does not have a particularly "Provencal" feel about it. But it does have an outstanding market on Saturdays and the old town is quite charming. It's fairly large for Provencal standards.

All of the places that you mention that interest you are west of Apt.

Mentioned in this post
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Level Contributor
70 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apt as base for touring

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. We have altered our focus and have located some apartments in L'Isle sur la Sorgue. We have found a location inside the town within walking distance of restaurants, shops, etc., and also as you suggested, within closer driving distance of the towns we previously identified. Thank you once again for your help. George

Mentioned in this post
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
Vaucluse, France
UK
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apt as base for touring

TBH I love Apt, it is less touristy than many places further west and having stayed there twice and in l'Isle sur la Sorgue once, I would prefer Apt. It is very well situated to visit the Luberon villages but also to go up to places like Sault and Brantes. It might not be so convenient for Arles and Avignon as l'Isle sur la Sorgue, but you would certainly be able to see a lot of Provence from there.

Mentioned in this post
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Arles
Arles
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,009 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apt as base for touring

Actually, CC, I quite enjoy Apt as well, but I don't think that it's everyones cup of tea. The Old Town is wonderful and the market is one of the best around. Not a big fan of the "development" on the outskirts of the town. I always feel like I have to "put up with" going through the perimeter of Apt to get to the gem of the old town. But, I guess that is the same in lots of places.

With the list of destinations that the OP presented that they wanted to visit, I thought that being based further west would make sense for them......

Mentioned in this post
Apt
Apt
Luberon, France
Reply to: Apt as base for touring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Apt
More Apt Topics