We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

We are traveling to France the last week in Sept. and first week in Oct. arriving in Paris for a total of 2 full weeks. We are spending 6 nights in Paris and are tentative plans as of now are taking the train to Lyon and spending 1- 2 nights there. Then we were going to rent a car in Lyon and visit Avignon, Aix-en-Provence and on to the Cote D' Azur. I am trying to estimate now how much time I need and what towns would interest us in Provence. We are not huge museum fans. We love to stroll the towns, looking at beautiful architecture, scenery, good food, shopping, various markets and wineries..especially ice wines! In saying that would it be wise to spend 1-2 nights in Aix-en-Provence as well and then onto Nice for the remainder of our stay? Also we would need an automatic car. I have looked on Europcar, Autoeurope.com and Kemwel.com so far, all quite costly. Any other suggestions for car rentals and mid range hotels in Lyon and Aix-en-Provence would be quite helpful. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Sept
Sept
304 Reviews
Toulouse, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Hotel Azur
Hotel Azur
267 Reviews
Marseille, France
1. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:30 pm, January 06, 2016
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

You are not going to find ice wines in France.

80+% of vehicles in France are manual transmissions. Automatics are typically significantly more expensive to rent.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

You should book an automatic ahead of time. It is the only way we drive and while harder to reserve and more expensive, it is worth it fir us.

Aix is a great town. If you want to explore little villages them look at the Louberon region north of Aix and east if Avignon.

You won't need a car for Nice and surrounding area.

Mentioned in this post
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

Doby 47, I was planning to staying 2 nights in Lyon and rent the car when leaving for Aix. We planned on stopping in Avignon and staying in Aix. Truthfully I have heard of the Luberon region but as yet have not researched it. Would 1-2 nights in Aix/Luberon area be enough and then onto Nice? Yes, I know we do not need a car for Nice and the surrounding areas. Any hotels suggestions? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,966 posts
492 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

At least 2 nights in Aix and Luberon.

In Aix we stayed in villa Gallici Large villa in a luscious garden with huge pool. Right outside the "downtown" old town of Aix. 15 minute walk. Amazing luxury hotel and I'd stay again. Not cheap.

To start researching the Luberon hill towns look at Gordes (nice, a bit touristy, bigger than the others and a great market) l'isle de sugrue, Lacoste, Lourmarin, Roussillion (red in color. A bit Disney like but people love it) and my favorite Bonnieux -small town not touristy great restaurants.

In bonnieux we stayed in le clos du bois. In "town" with backyard and pool in the pasture. Views of Lacoste.

Mentioned in this post
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
Gordes
Gordes
Luberon, France
Lourmarin
Lourmarin
Luberon, France
Disneyland Paris
Disneyland Paris
Seine-et-Marne, France
Princes Risborough...
Level Contributor
39 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

Ice wines ARE found in Alsace in France. And I have never found an automatic more expensive to rent, in 30 years of travelling to France.

Mentioned in this post
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
France
France
Europe
North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

I may have to rethink my plans! We are deciding if we should stop in Lyon at all. Is it going to be like a "mini Paris?" Don't want to insult anyone from Lyon but we want a change from the city atmosphere to a slower pace. The Luberon area and Aix-en-Provence may be more appropriate for us after Paris. We love beautiful scenery and smaller towns.

Since we will probably be in Avignon or Aix on a Sunday and/or Monday should we expect a lot of the stores and restaurants to be closed? If so where would be the best place to tour/visit on Sunday in Provence?

Mentioned in this post
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Luberon
Luberon
Vaucluse, France
Aix-en-Provence
Aix-en-Provence
Bouches-du-Rhone, France
Avignon
Avignon
Vaucluse, France
North Woodmere, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

Eddyfrombucks, thanks! I remembered reading something about ice wines that came from France. Can you recommend any car rental agencies besides Europcar, Autoeuropa.com or Kemwel.com?

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

Wines in France are commonly produced and sold locally. So, if you are in Provence you are more likely to see wines from the Languedoc or the Southern Rhone.. If you are in Bordeaux....you'll find Bordeaux.

A tiny, tiny amount of icewine is produced in Alsace, but as in the rest of France, the climate is just to warm for it to be produced in any kind of volume. You would likley have to go to Alsace to get some....or at least to find a good selection. Icewine is produced in much larger amounts in Germany and Canada, where the climate is more appropriate.

Renting a car with an automatic transmission is more expensive in France than a manual transmission, despite what has been said.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Alsace
Alsace
Grand Est, France
Germany
Germany
Europe
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
683 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paris to Lyon and then on Aix-en-Provence and....

hi,

``````Can you recommend any car rental agencies besides Europcar, Autoeuropa.com or Kemwel.com?````

check out -> www.autoeurope.com and www.vroomvroom.com www.carrental.com -> consolidators/brokers who deal with all the major rental companies - also provide info.of auto.transmission if necessary

have a great trip